take a look at this

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrmgo

Reaction score
Okay I'm at a loss here very new to making soap my 3rd try same recipe. Help

Batch 1 (16 hrs in the mold ) crumbled when cut rebatched twice. Soap looks awful but works well.

Batch 2 (9 rs in mold) began to crumble but got most cut sucessfully even if not perfect.

Batch 3 (2 1/2 hrs in mold) totally crumbled.

recipe 32 oz olive oil
6oz distilled water
6 oz goat milk
4.7 oz lye (by weight)

At 30 lye concentration I get 9.6 Oz liquid and 4.12 NaOH with soapcalc.

What soap calc are you using and what lye concentration?
What type of OO are you using?
Also how far are you taking it past emulsion.
Are you putting it in the fridge?
Any other additives at all?
Are you covering it and wrapping it and putting it in a prewarmed and turned off oven as it goes in?
Are you putting it in a hot oven and cooking it?
What type of goats milk are you using - does it have additives?

What soap calc are you using I am using Majestic Mountain Sage 6% fat what lye concentration? 100% lye
What type of OO are you using? Great Value Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Also how far are you taking it past emulsion. I take it to trace.
Are you putting it in the fridge? No Fridge
Any other additives at all? none
Are you covering it and wrapping it Yes covering and wrapping and putting it in a prewarmed and turned off oven as it goes in? no oven
Are you putting it in a hot oven and cooking it?no
What type of goats milk are you using - does it have additives?Nigerian Dwarf Fresh goats milk frozen and thawed no additives

It appears that you may have misread the lye amount, using Majestic Mountain Sage, the readout at 6% is 4.07 ounces of lye not 4.7oz.

If you have used 4.7oz of lye, then your soap is lye heavy (it has excess lye). This would explain why your soap is crumbly.

A smaller batch size while you're learning, of about half the amount you have been making, will still be enough that you can use a stickblender to mix it, but isn't so small that it's prone to measuring errors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back