Swirly questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
While I have been looking at pictures of swirled soap (online and in the saponifier contest and at etsy and artfire) I have noticed that some swirlers swirl all the way through the soap, right to the bottom, and some only swirl the top layer.
I've not done any swirling so I don't really know the difference, but I am presuming it is harder to get the swirl all the way through, is this right?
What's your thoughts on this?

to get the swirling all the way thru you kinda have to pour at a thinner trace then normal and pour the colored soap or soaps from varying heights above your mold. they higher you pour from the farther it goes down into the soap and swirl with a chopstick or swirling gizmo of your choice.

course you could always do my method. stand on one leg on a chair with your tongue hanging out the corner of your mouth and pour that way too. it's even better if your in front of your kitchen window in full soaping garb and the neighbor sees ya. :lol:

I think my neighbours think I am cooking up crystal meth cos I don all my soaping garb and then go outside to mix the lye/water. I am a real sight when I do it!!

ChrissyB said:
I think my neighbours think I am cooking up crystal meth cos I don all my soaping garb and then go outside to mix the lye/water. I am a real sight when I do it!!

i always wonder the same!

oh the crystal meth thing is so funny, i always have said that, especially since we had such probs with our old neighbors.

Barb said:
course you could always do my method. stand on one leg on a chair with your tongue hanging out the corner of your mouth and pour that way too. it's even better if your in front of your kitchen window in full soaping garb and the neighbor sees ya. :lol:
Thanks Barb!!!! This is the part I have been missing!
smiley1735.gif
You do know your swirls.

Digit

Too funny Barb :lol:
I had my goggles, gloves & apron on today and thought my soap was getting a bit too hot so there I am carrying my prize outside like it's the crown jewels, just as well my neighbours know, lol

TO get the swirls all the way through you can also do an in the pot swirl....or pour some of the colored soap in the bottom, add your other soap color and keep alternating and then use a chop stick or whatever to swirl in the mold.

I haven't done a swirl yet, but I plan to soon. I am going to use the tutorial in this link: http://beauxeaux.com/swirltutorial/howtoswirl.htm

It was originally posted by justcrafty in the recipes and tutorial forum, so I can't take credit for this one!

In the first page of the recipes and tutorials forum I think there is also a funnel swirl tutorial that looks a bit simpler to do.

Both ways look like they take a bit more effort to me, as opposed to just doing a swirl on the top!

My best swirls were done using the method in the link posted by unmouton. It works very well to carry the swirl throughout each bar rather than just on the surface.

Back