Sweating in salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleraine

Reaction score
I made a salt bar a couple of days ago and ever since, I've been checking them. The entire last week has been dry so no sweating except one tiny drop on each bar in the morning.

Then it rains...for the past two days, it has been raining for an entire day and suddenly my salt bars are a mess. They are not sitting in water per say but covered in tiny beads of water. And I've had to wipe them down at least once a day since the rains came.

My question is this:

1) Would the sweating be an issue in how the soap is going to cure? I live in the tropics so asking me to get a dehumidifier won't work and I don't run the AC where I aim coz it's nice and cool.

2) Can I cling wrap the soap even before it has finished curing? It's only a week old.

3) Would running the fan over them help in the sweating? What about those dehumidifier cans for cupboards?

What a nightmare. I love the feel of salt bars - I made a couple in France and when I brought those over, they were alright - no sweating, nothing. But of course in Malaysia, all my soaps sweat a little when it's rains like mad (milk soaps, that is). Gah.

I would try running a small fan across them to help keep them dry until they are cured. I wouldn't wrap them in cling wrap yet, they really do need more time to completely dry.

I live in Indonesia. Our climate and humidity is almost the same right? My soaps don't sweat, including my salt bars, but I do have a fan running all day ( for my sake rather my soaps. Lol) Maybe using a fan does work.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Lidyax, it depends. I find some parts of Indonesia to be wetter than others - I live on an island and near the hills so when it rains, it can get really humid (the same, I feel, happens in Bali during the monsoon months). But in my parent's home in the capital (Kuala Lumpur), it's hot and dry. :) The sweating only happens with my milk/yogurt soaps (especially sheep's milk) but I think, it's glycerine and not so much water (like in the salt bars).

Hm, luckily my place is still pretty breezy. I guess I'll just get those dehumidifier eggs and run them over a fan while they cure. Have a few more weeks to go. Gah.

Lidyax, it depends. I find some parts of Indonesia to be wetter than others - I live on an island and near the hills so when it rains, it can get really humid (the same, I feel, happens in Bali during the monsoon months). But in my parent's home in the capital (Kuala Lumpur), it's hot and dry. :) The sweating only happens with my milk/yogurt soaps (especially sheep's milk) but I think, it's glycerine and not so much water (like in the salt bars).

Hm, luckily my place is still pretty breezy. I guess I'll just get those dehumidifier eggs and run them over a fan while they cure. Have a few more weeks to go. Gah.

Humidity sucks! Ughh... Good luck with your soaps!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I got some mini dehumidifiers to help with the situation...hopefully it will stop sweating or at least sweat less.

Hate the humidity now. Gah.

Just to update you guys...

I bought some mini dehumidifier cans and sachets. They worked! The salt bars are now dry even though it has been raining for a while.

Hi, i too stay in a very humid place and face the same problem with my soaps, specially in the rainy season. I wrap my soaps in tissue paper and keep them covered in a box. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but it does soak the water droplets off the soap. I have tried soap n AC but it didn't help much. If anyone has better ideas please suggest.

Sent from my iPad us

If you did not use Dead Sea Salt in your bars they really should not sweat anymore than your other soaps. I find all soaps get damp when in humid weather from the natural glycerin in the soap. When I do my shows at the beach my soap always get damp and I tell my customers it shows they are getting a great soap with lots of natural glycerin...!. Humidity and soap is not fun. Regular sea salt and table salt (Plain) work great in salt bars

Latest posts

Back