Surface for Drying/Curing and Storing Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumbini

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the type of surfaces used for drying/curing soap. For example, do you leave it on tissue, paper, plastic? And same goes for storing. Thank you for any help.

I leave mine on wax paper, in a box with the top cut off.

I bought some plastic storage racks and line the soap up on that. I also have a metal one but I put plastic screening over the bars so the soap wouldn't be touching the metal. After 4 weeks or more of open air curing, I put the bars in small paper bags (like sandwich bags) for storage.

I bought small rectangular plastic baskets with holes in the sides from Family Dollar. Line them with paper towels with no ink or designs, just white, and row them up on the stairs in the apartment. After their cure time, 6 weeks here for free flowing air, I put them in brown paper lunch bags (I just noticed white one somewhere a few weeks ago, may have been WalMart), in a cardboard box, in the closet. If I owned a home, I would build wooden racks on a wall or use a bookcase for curing. Have no idea about storage as that would depend on the home.

I use plastic storage shelves too. Like what you would have in the garage. They have holes in the shelves which I like because it lets air circulate. Not attractive, but eh...neither was the rest of my bedroom furniture. :)

I use cake racks I purchased from the dollar store. Once cured I store in boxed lined with waxed paper or brown lunch bags. Running out of room for my cake racks so I think I'm going to have to look at a wire shelf.... or make more friends to give my soaps to :)

Thank you everyone for the helpful ideas and replies. I am limited by space where I live but I will try out some of the options :)

I use heavy-duty cardboard boxes, preferably with some holes in the bottom and/or sides & line the bottom with plain paper towel. After curing, I either put them in a plastic bin or leave them in the box with a sheet of wax paper or something.

I have Ikea wood shelving. The shelves are slatted so I line the shelves with parchment paper. They are 6ft (ish) tall by 30" x 18" and go together really easy if you have an Ikea you can get to. Plus they are way cheap.

After I cut my soap, I spread it out on parchment paper and let it dry for a week or so and then move it to a wooden rack to finish curing.

We picked up some shelving at Target. Each shelf will hold about 100 bars, 5 shelves per rack and we have 2 racks. Trust me they aren't filled. Yet.

Here's a couple shots of bars drying. BTW these are in the basement that maintains about 65* and around 55% humidity.

1.JPG

2.JPG

We picked up some shelving at Target. Each shelf will hold about 100 bars, 5 shelves per rack and we have 2 racks. Trust me they aren't filled. Yet.

Here's a couple shots of bars drying. BTW these are in the basement that maintains about 65* and around 55% humidity.

I like the shelves can hold so much soap, but I thought I read that metal against soap can cause DOS. I dont think I saw anything lining under your soaps & the shelves.

I like the shelves can hold so much soap, but I thought I read that metal against soap can cause DOS. I dont think I saw anything lining under your soaps & the shelves.

You're correct, nothing between the soap and the rack. I only store them there for about 3 weeks. First week is on a coated steel rack, then a few weeks on the chrome racks, then they get stored in separate containers so scents don't get a chance to mingle. I have some that were stored on these racks from 18 months ago and they show no signs of DOS.

But you bring up a good point. Maybe I've been lucky so far and it probably wouldn't hurt me to take precautions so I don't have issues. Lord knows I have a ton of cardboard around just looking for a place to be. Thanks for pointing it out, I really appreciate it.

Love these! we have a couple of them that my DH bought for himself. I showed him your pictures and told him I'm taking over one of his racks. He didn't smile :twisted:

Thank you for posting the pictures. That is a lot of space :) I am not sure if I have the space for that particular model, but something like that would be nice. I was wondering, do you get marks on your soap from the metal bars? TY!

Thank you for posting the pictures. That is a lot of space :) I am not sure if I have the space for that particular model, but something like that would be nice. I was wondering, do you get marks on your soap from the metal bars? TY!

No marks but keep in mind the bars have been drying on a smaller coated rack for a week prior to being placed on these racks so they are fairly firm. I do polish all my bars with panty hose, the one item I insist my wife picks up for me, prior to wrapping.

Latest posts

Back