Superfat/Discount % question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superfat pretty much equals lye discount. Basically we superfat for two reasons.

1. SAP values for oils are not exact figures but rather ranges. So that means we cannot, with our calculators, pinpoint EXACTLY how much lye we need to saponify the oils. Thus we add some extra oil (superfat) or cut back on the lye (discount) because it's better to err on the side of too little lye than too much.

2. Soap is cleansing. Which means it strips the oils from our skin. And too much of a good thing is still too much. So we superfat (or discount lye) so that there is some extra oil in the soap to kinda mitigate this stripping.

Typically, laundry soap has a superfat of 0%, basic body bars about 5%, and facial or sensitive skin bars maybe around 7%. But it's really up to you what you want to work with. For example the current rage is to use oils that produce a very highly cleansing soap and superfatting at 20% (e.g., 100 coconut oil soap, 20% SF).

Thank you carebear! I understand it now. :D

As the soap cures, does it become more milder?

So, I have been making my bars at 5%, can they still be used on the face?
They will be curing for 9-10 weeks before being used.

I will now be making my soaps at 7%.

Oh absolutely - those are just guidelines.

The level of superfat you choose also has to take into account the stability of your oils because higher levels are more prone to the evil DOS. So if you use a lot of, say soybean oil you will want to keep it on the low side. Castile - mine are prone to DOS so I tend to keep that to 6%. It's really a balancing act.

Don't make decisions for the future till you try a couple of batches at different levels.

Lots of folks use 5% everywhere (I'm old and cannot) but I have found and heard from others that a higher level is preferable - within bounds.

Soap does continue to mellow as it cures, but after 2 weeks the improvement is much smaller per week and by 4 weeks I'd say you've maxed it out (this is from experience, not a scientific study!). The rest of the time is marvelous for getting a harder bar and with olive is vital.

Back