Sunscreen homemade help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a particular cream I like to make. If I add zinc oxide to it does that make it have sunscreen in it or do I have to add aloe vera?
Also what kind of preservative to ue with sunscreen?
Thanks for any help or if anyone knows of any good sunscreen recipes...

? adding aloe vera to a product doesn't make something a sunscreen.

zinc oxide is in some sunscreens but it is also in some diaper creams. you really just have to research the information that is available out there and formulate your recipes to fit what you are trying to do. :)

I had noticed a lot of the recipes called for aloe vera so I thought it was needed also but didn't have any protection from the sun. Now I keep researching the zinc oxide which should provide the protection. Just wondering if I can just add zinc oxide to my regular lotion to make it a sunscreen. Hope this makes sense.

According to cosmeticinfo.org, the following are 15 ingredients commonly found in sunscreen:

Bisabolol
Colorants
Fragrance
Glycerin
Glyceryl Stearate
Mineral Oil
PEG-30 Glyceryl Cocoate
PEG-30 Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Preservative Ingredients
PVP
Stearalkonium Hectorite
Titanium Dioxide
UV Filter Ingredients
Water
Zinc Oxide

I have a recipe for sunburn spray (to be applied after the fact) that has aloe vera in it which would have a soothing effect. In looking over the above ingredient list of common ingredients found in sunscreen, I would guess the "UV Filter Ingredients" are a major factor in what makes it a sunscreen, and that is probably a trade secret. :?

Sunscreen are considered OTC drugs by the FDA. Sun protection is serious stuff and while I make every toiletry in my house I buy my sunscreen. How much active ingredient do you need to create what SPF rating and at what PH level? How long before the actives lose efficacy? What combination of actives is most effective for broad-spectrum protection? I actually know these answers and still do not make it myself because the risk of skin cancer is far too great. Just MO, but I think anything considered OTC should be bought from people who have gone through FDA testing to ensure the product is safe and effective. HTH!

This is the only recipe I've seen for sunscreen so far. As I understand it, it's the zinc oxide that provides the protection. I would assume you could add it to your favourite recipe for some protection but I agree with Earthchild. Sunscreen is something I'd rather buy and not risk my health with, I'm sure there are ingredients in commercial sunscreen that are unavailable to the public.

Recipe: http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_sunscreen.htm

Chart: http://www.pvsoap.com/SPF_chart.htm

Thanks so much! that is very true... i guess it's not worth it to make it homemade.

Latest posts

Back