Suggestions for a baby friendly soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolincanada

Reaction score
Yeah!!! My daughters having a baby!! Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice mild soap for Baby. :D

I think any average CP soap would certainly be a lot better than what you get from the shops. But it would be worth paying particular care to what EOs you use, or indeed whether it's worth using any at all. I certainly wouldn't use fragrance oils (although I may be in a minority in that opinion).
In terms of the basic soap, I would keep cleansing low, so it is mild, other than that I think any well balanced recipe would be good. I believe Patchouli essential oil has no known irritants, but double check.

you can go for a simple castile, no color and def. no FO's.

You might look into an infusion (be sure to double check sensitivities first) for color or scent.

A 6 month cure is perfect for Castile, so if you start now it'll be more than ready by the time the baby is! :wink:

artisan soaps said:
Congrats Grandma! :D

100% Olive Oil - Goats Milk - Lye

And as long a cure as possible ;)

I'd add a little sunflower oil to that,& like Imblebee suggested,infuse some chamomile & calendula in the OO. :)

Hi Carolin,
Congratulations!
I would not use any soap on a baby the first 6 months. After coming out of the tummy, the sebum production of babies skin practicaly stops.
Therefore, I'd advise not to use anything really cleansing.
The first months you could make some lovely bath oil, tea or milk.
After that, you could slowly start by washing with castille maybe some bastille with avocado and shea.

keep in mind, though, that soap will sting like the dickens if it gets in the baby's eyes.

I made a lavender castile for my daughter with just a tiny bit of lavender. It's 90% OO and 10% castile
I did find it is super slippery, and the water disolves it sooo fast.
Next time I want to try a Bastile to see if that makes a difference.

ohsoap said:
I made a lavender castile for my daughter with just a tiny bit of lavender. It's 90% OO and 10% castile
I did find it is super slippery, and the water disolves it sooo fast.
Next time I want to try a Bastile to see if that makes a difference.

10% castile? Did you mean castor?

I think a Bastile is anything that's mostly olive with a little of anything else, like the recipe you already made.

Castile is 100% Olive Oil. Nothing else.

ok I'll give it another try, by the time this bar is gone the others will have cured around that long. I wasn't sure if it was the castor in it either, I remember one of the other post saying that castor attracts water?

If I use goats milk, will it turn it brown and when and how would I add it. ( I just made an olive, lard, co, and castor soap and added buttermilk powder mixed with 1 oz hot water and 1 tsp honey, at trace, crockpot method and the soap turned quite dark and did some weird things, Would that have been the milk powder?) or would I be better making a cammomile tea to mix with the lye. I'd like the soap to be a creamy or light color. If I add sunflower oil what % would you reccomend. Thanks

If I use goats milk, will it turn it brown and when and how would I add it. ( I just made an olive, lard, co, and castor soap and added buttermilk powder mixed with 1 oz hot water and 1 tsp honey, at trace, crockpot method and the soap turned quite dark and did some weird things, Would that have been the milk powder?) or would I be better making a cammomile tea to mix with the lye. I'd like the soap to be a creamy or light color. If I add sunflower oil what % would you reccomend. Thanks

Carolin,

If you are doing hp, you can make a paste with the buttermilk powder....just mix the powder a TBSP or so of water and you could mix the honey in with that as well....and stir in after the cook. then you won't get the dark color or wierdness.

The reason why it turned dark and did strange things is because the sugars in the milk and honey burned. Whenever you add milk upfront in hp it will do that and most always separate as well at which point you can just stick blend it back into submission.

As for the sunflower, it depends on if what you have is high oleic sunflower or regular sunflower. For high Oliec you can go higher, but if it is not high Oliec then only 5-10% otherwise your soap will be prone to DOS.

Thanks for explaining that too me.It did separate and i did stick blend it back together and although I was hoping to do a white and pink swirl I ended up with a quite nice oatmeal honey and buttermilk, with a bit of cinnamon, which I'm quite pleased with. I'll use your advice for my next batch that I want white.

Latest posts

Back