sugar scrub with grapefruit juice...does it ruin quickly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awi

Reaction score
I have seen a recipe for sugar scrubs that contain salt, olive oil and grapefruit juice...Does it last very long or turn gross in a little while? I want to make some for Christmas gifts, but was concerned about the mixture molding...any ideas?

It will spoil just like a bowl of food, that's what it is.

Recipes like that are meant to be used when you make them. They are not for storage.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it couldn't last too long, but the recipe said to mix it up and place into jars and give as gifts...well, if you did it too much in advance, or your recipient didn't use it right away, it would get funky and how embarrassing that would be to give a moldy gift. Could you leave out the grapefruit juice and just replace it with some citrus essential oils? Would this make it last?

Anything with water in it will need a persertive. If your formula has only oils you may not need one. That being said, if there is a possibility of water being introduced into the product (wet hands), or If I plan to sell it then I would use a presertive.

Latest posts

Back