Sugar crystals for lip balms

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillisa3479

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get those colored sugar crystals for lip balms? I'm trying to get into this hobby and see if I'm good at it. (while making it look pretty at the same time. )
Any suggestions would help!

Hi,
The purpose is for sugar scrubs for the lips. I should have included that, not so much for lip balms.

colored sugar crystals can easily be made by putting the sugar in a jar (or baggie) with a bit of food coloring and simply working it - shake, squeeze, roll, shake shake shake. that's how we made them for christmas cookie decorations.

go easy, though - a little color goes a long way.

but I'd think that any colorant would stain the lips. so perhaps you'd be better off with some colored jojoba beads?

carebear said:
colored sugar crystals can easily be made by putting the sugar in a jar (or baggie) with a bit of food coloring and simply working it - shake, squeeze, roll, shake shake shake. that's how we made them for christmas cookie decorations.

go easy, though - a little color goes a long way.

but I'd think that any colorant would stain the lips. so perhaps you'd be better off with some colored jojoba beads?
Wouldn't the color from the sugar smear across the balm? I'm not sure if jojoba beads are lip safe.

How about TKB's lip safe colorants. I don't think you would necessarily add the color to the sugar itself but rather to the whole blend of sugar and oils.

Here's a scenario that I see. Lips have moisture. Lip scrub has sugar in it. When the moisture and the sugar meet, it creates a perfect breeding ground for germs to grow. Will you be using a preservative?

As far as TKB Trading colors, those are most likely FD&C Lakes which are oil soluble. Yes, they would add color to the lip scrub.

There is a nice recipe for a whipped lip scrub on the MMS blog. I have tried it and it is wonderful. I only make tiny batches and don't dip my finger back into the jar after it has touched my lips. This is a very do-able project. Good luck!

I suspect the sugar crystals you're thinking of are the kind used for baking. They're usually available with the cake making stuff in the grocery store or the same section of your craft store. The sugars a little bigger than the standard granules and comes in a wide array of colors. The color CAN bleed though so it might stain the lips. I've never tried it so I don't know for sure, but I have had the color come off on my hands when they were wet. Hope that helps!

Oh, I was thinking of regular sugar. Be careful with bigger crystals as the lips are very, very delicate and super-prone to sun damage. I use a very fine grain sugar in my lip scrub and don't scrub very often.

Earthchild said:
There is a nice recipe for a whipped lip scrub on the MMS blog. I have tried it and it is wonderful. I only make tiny batches and don't dip my finger back into the jar after it has touched my lips. This is a very do-able project. Good luck!

What is the MMS Blog??? is there a link please???

Latest posts

Back