Successful-ish first CPOP - Oily Exterior

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songwind

Reaction score
I made a soap today that I've made before as both CP and HP. I decided to try my first CPOP procedure.

The Soap:

40% Palm
25% Olive
25% Coconut
10% Shea Butter

Full water, 5% superfat.

Fragrance: Crafter's Choice Strawberry Shortcake at about 5%. (Used before in CP without problems.)

Making the soap batter went fine. The time I did CP, the trace jumped from light to pudding-like very quickly (before adding the fragrance) so I made sure to separate the bit I wanted to color once I had a light but stable trace.

Colored w/ CC "red bath bomb" lake color. (Reviews on their site indicate other people have used it successfully in soap.) Did my first in-pot swirl. Overmixed, but it's still a nice subtle effect.

bQeQZ6I.jpg

I CPOP'd it for an hour in a 150 degree oven. After 30 minutes when I checked it, it wasn't gelled all the way.

Once it was all gelled and I took it out, I had small bubbles, and an oily sheen (but not puddles) on top. The oil doesn't feel odd, nor does it smell overwhelmingly of the fragrance.

1gKbgDB.jpg

It tested 7-7.5 on my pH strips, and felt fine on my skin when I tested a bar after it cooled. I sacrificed one by cutting it in half, and it did not have any seepage or oily feeling on the inside.

Here are the finished bars:

jLYiWKa.jpg

All in all i'm pleased for my first swirl and CPOP, but I wish I knew what caused the oiliness.

I have two working theories:
1. I jumped the gun on the trace, poured too early, and it separated a little.

2. I somehow caused the superfats to be squeezed out of it?

What do you say, SMF-ers?

It probably got just a bit too hot and cause some of the oils or scent to rise. Usually if you leave the soap in the mold for another day or two, the oil will soak back in.
The bars look good, congrats:)

I agree with Obsidian, this has happened to me during my first couple forays into CPOPing. I watch very carefully these days as I don't have a fool proof technique down pat yet. As soon as I notice little bubbles or a slightly oily sheen on my soap I open the oven door or even take out my soap for a few minutes so that it won't overheat and separate. This is especially true for fragrances that tend to set up and heat up quickly during regular CP. During my first CPOP batch I experienced major separation and I just stirred everything back together. Lost the swirl but saved the soap. Your swirl looks great and the oil should absorb in a few days. Good job:thumbup:

OK, this exact thing happened to me. I gave it a week, and it never reabsorbed the oil. I rebatched it, and now I have soap that has not hardened for 3 days(too much water probably).

My question now is, what do I do with the resultant paste? Do I shred it and mix with a water discounted HP batch? If so, how much less water? Do I throw it out and start over? I really hate to waste it, as it really is good soap. Just too wet.

I knew that learning to soap was going to be a process. I think now I have learned how to fix almost every problem. From now on, it should be smoother sailing, right?

Last edited:
I'm curious, how long does soap need to cure if you CPOP?

Cure time should always be the same regardless of CP, HP, CPOP: 4-6 weeks minimum. The longer the cure, the more mild the bar. Not saying you can't test them throughout that time though, which is a good thing to do so you can see the change in the soap :)

OK, this exact thing happened to me. I gave it a week, and it never reabsorbed the oil. I rebatched it, and now I have soap that has not hardened for 3 days(too much water probably).

My question now is, what do I do with the resultant paste? Do I shred it and mix with a water discounted HP batch? If so, how much less water? Do I throw it out and start over? I really hate to waste it, as it really is good soap. Just too wet.

I knew that learning to soap was going to be a process. I think now I have learned how to fix almost every problem. From now on, it should be smoother sailing, right?

Susie, what was the recipe and how long did you have it in the oven?

Susie, how much water did you add to the rebatch? If its just soft from water, I would leave it be until it hardens.

My recipe was:

NaOH-2.4oz
H20-6oz

Coconut Oil-5oz
Olive Oil-5oz
Almond Oil-4oz
Shea Butter-2 oz
Castor Oil-0.5oz
Sweet Orange EO-5ml(1/6oz)

I got it to a very thin trace before adding the EO(I did read the warnings about citrus EOs accelerating trace.) And poured as soon as the EO was mixed all the way in.

I put it in a 170 degree oven(and I recalibrated my oven a week or so ago) for 1 hour. I debated taking it out early when the oil started separating, but decided to follow instructions.

I gave it a full week to reabsorb the oil, but it never did. It was also sort of spongy feeling, not solid like CP.

I suspected that the EO did not sufficiently mix in, hence the rebatch. I added 4 oz H2O in 2 additions of 2oz each. I now have a pretty orange paste that smells good(I like just a little scent) after 3 days of waiting to cut it. It is "spoonable", not "cutable".

And my question is, what now? I know adding water will make "snot" consistency product, not liquid soap. I guess I could use it for laundry detergent, but I am not crazy about that hard bar to liquid laundry detergent consistency.(snot)

I am hoping for some solution to turn this into a usable soap, but I will understand if it is just going to be useful for the trash can. This is my first CPOP(and probably the last), and the first batch I will not be able to save. So, I hate to just throw it away.

Thanks for any help!

The spongy feeling is also caused by overheating. The recipe looks fine, I still think you simply added too much water and need to wait it out. It can take awhile, do you have some place warm it can sit to help the water evaporate?

I suppose you could always dump it back in the crock pot and try to cook some of the excess water off.

From now on, it should be smoother sailing, right?

Yes, you have just achieved a life free of error. This does not only apply to soaping. I have sent your Skull and Bones Society T-shirt. It should arrive shortly. Welcome to the club.

Thanks. I think I will return it to the crock pot.

Maybe I am missing something here, but if CPOP needs to cure the same length of time as CP, then what is the benefit? I have made exactly 4 batches of soap so far, so my question is not meant as sarcasm. I really do need to know. And I think I have had every problem possible, so I am learning a lot on how to correct issues. Good info to have!

And, again, I must say that y'all are just awesome. So helpful! So good about explaining things to a newbie! I just can't thank y'all enough!

Books and YouTube are great, but nothing beats being able to troubleshoot with experienced soapers!

CPOP insures a full gel which prevents the partial gel ring some soaps can get. Some people also prefer the almost translucent/waxy look of gelled soap over the creamier look of non gelled soap.

The CPOP gives a complete gel. Most people do it for aesthetics but some have noticed differences in the soap. Someone wiser than I will have to confirm or deny this as my experience with CPOP has been a single failure.
I apologize if my sarcasm came off as rude. Sarcasm is difficult to pull off in the written word.

The only way to not deal with cure times is making M&P which sucks because human nature is being impatient! I hope your batch turns out with some time. Those citrus EOs/FOs can be tricky!

T I have made exactly 4 batches of soap so far, so my question is not meant as sarcasm. I really do need to know. And I think I have had every problem possible, so I am learning a lot on how to correct issues. Good info to have!

I am going to burst your bubble now, so I'll apologize first, but you will find that there are many more than 4 problems or even 4 types of problems you can run into soaping. I've been at it for only 4 short years and I see enough new challenges to keep me on my toes and my head well scratched.

I am going to burst your bubble now, so I'll apologize first, but you will find that there are many more than 4 problems or even 4 types of problems you can run into soaping. I've been at it for only 4 short years and I see enough new challenges to keep me on my toes and my head well scratched.

I'll be sending a return slip for your T-shirt.

I thought this was interesting - CPOP vs. Cold process

I had some batter left over after the silicon mold was completely full. I didn't have an appropriate sized oven-safe mold so I just plopped it in a Ziploc container to set and cold-process. You can see that the Crafter's Choice "Bath Bomb Red" has very different looks after it's been through the heat. I like them both. The cold process (not gelled) soap has a nice bright red that would look great in a peppermint soap swirl. The CPOP soap is almost burgundy, and in person (with no flash) it actually reminds me of the flesh of a berry.

KJTeertl.jpg

Latest posts

Back