Substitute for palm oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabiola

Reaction score
I am anxious to start my first batch, but all my easy recipes call for palm oil, which I don't find locally, does anyone know about a chain store that carries palm oil? If not, what can I use as a substitute? I am making hand mill soap to start into the hobby....:)

I don't use palm oil at all - and for your first batch, you want to keep it simple anyway. So if you can get olive and coconut oils, you're set. Try 15-25% CO, and make up the rest with the OO. It's a simple, but good recipe that will be fine to use after 4-6 weeks (if you use CP), but it will get better and better with a longer cure ...... If you want to add any other oils, you could consider around 5% castor oil to add to the creaminess of the lather.

Just be sure to run the final recipe with the weight of the oils you plan to use through a lye calculator like Soapcalc, and keep your batch fairly small (about 1kg or 2lb should be fine).

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

So, can use lard in any recipe that calls for palm oil? and what would be the difference between a soap with lard and a soap with palm oil?

Whole Foods sell it under the brand name Spectrum. It's in their baking section. It's also sustainable!

I second that lard is a great sub for palm.

No offense but gross...Lard gave me DOS in every batch I tried it with.

You don't need Palm or Lard to make a good batch of soap, just work on your recipe and do your research on what certain oils bring to the table.

I agree with the poster who said 25% coconut, 75% olive oil. That makes a really nice soap and is nice and simple.

I've been making soap for five years and have never used palm oil. I mostly use olive oil (40-80%), coconut (15-30%), the remainder something economical like sunflower oil or rice bran oil (up to 20%) and a little bit of shea or cocoa butter (5-10%).

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back