Sub in salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals! I am in love with making salt bars! Needing to make more but am wondering about subing an ingredient. Looking for suggestions. Current is Coconut oil, Avocado Oil, Castor oil. Wanting to replace the avocado with something maybe cheaper and easier to find but with same value. (have to go to a health food store on the other side of town, sometimes they have it sometimes not) Looked up on SoapCalc and am finding Canola oil is about the same? Is this right? And what is High oleic? Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Lori! There are many oils you can sub for Avocado oil. I would use sweet almond, rice bran, sunflower, canola...really any other liquid oil. Just run the recipe through a lye calc to get the right amount of lye needed.

Salt bars get most of their personality from the salt and coconut oil so whatever additional oil/butter that you use is mostly for label appeal in my opinion. You could even use a butter like shea or cocoa.

Let us know what you come up with!

Back