Sub for milk products...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAMommie

Reaction score
Hey there,
I have seen a couple of recipes that I would really like to try but they have milk in them. I am vegan and do not want to put any dairy products in my soaps. So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried soy, rice, hemp, coconut milks as a sub for cows or goat milk?

I love coconut milk soap. I have never made it, but enjoy using it.

I've seen post on boards where people have used almond milk and soy milks in soaps. I haven't tried those, but I thing the Sage website had a recipe or two for them, you can probably do a search to bring them up.

I do a couple of coconut milk recipes that come out great. Good luck.

JustAMommie said:
I appreciate the reply. :) I think I will get some coconut milk/powder and try a batch. :)

Just a note, coconut milk powder has sodium caseinate in it, which is derived from milk.

Thanks for that info! I did not know that tid-bit.

naturesphilosophy said:
JustAMommie said:
I appreciate the reply. :) I think I will get some coconut milk/powder and try a batch. :)

Just a note, coconut milk powder has sodium caseinate in it, which is derived from milk.

Thanks for that info! I did not know that tid-bit.
Ah, thanks for that...Hmmm, I will check labels for sure...it's the story of my life, checking labels. :)

Bayougirl said:
I've seen post on boards where people have used almond milk and soy milks in soaps. I haven't tried those, but I thing the Sage website had a recipe or two for them, you can probably do a search to bring them up.

I do a couple of coconut milk recipes that come out great. Good luck.

Thank you, I will check that out.

But does anyone know whether the vegetable milks have any similar or identical constituents as e.g. goat milk? And which if any, give the same properties in the soap? Although I have to say, if I could find an alternative to GM, that performs as well, I would love to try it, as GM always leaves a trace of goat smell, to my nose anyway. And before you ask, I have finally worked out how to stop the milk burning, which is not as easy as much of the info on the internet would imply. I have had to totally ditch several batches with the most horrible smell, including one with 20% Fair Trade organic shea.....I was not a happy bunny.

Back