sticky\soft top

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny_

Reaction score
Hi :)
I've made a batch of soap on friday night, put it in the oven after I molded it and left it there the whole night. (CPOP as you call it)
the soap is still in the mold and feels hard and firm- but it's top is sticky and feels like it's a little greasy- but it's not oil because it washes off with water. what could it be? glycerin? it's like a thin layer on top of the soap that stays a little opaque on my fingers if I touch it.

thanks!

Is it at room temp or is it still a bit warm? I get that feeling if I freeze a loaf to unmold, it disappears after a day or so as it fully assimilates to room temp. I'm betting, like with most soap things, some time will fix it.

(But just in case wait for someone else to comment, it could be a thing neither of us has heard of yet)

I've made a batch of soap on friday night, put it in the oven after I molded it and left it there the whole night. (CPOP as you call it) the soap is still in the mold and feels hard and firm- but it's top is sticky and feels like it's a little greasy- but it's not oil because it washes off with water. what could it be? glycerin? it's like a thin layer on top of the soap that stays a little opaque on my fingers if I touch it.

My clairvoyant license has gone missing, so I'll/we'll be needing to have a gander at your recipe (and any other details) please.

Thanks!

Is it at room temp or is it still a bit warm? I get that feeling if I freeze a loaf to unmold, it disappears after a day or so as it fully assimilates to room temp. I'm betting, like with most soap things, some time will fix it.

(But just in case wait for someone else to comment, it could be a thing neither of us has heard of yet)

What temp was the oven and did you turn the oven off when you put the soap in?
It sounds like you might have cooked it a bit.

My clairvoyant license has gone missing, so I'll/we'll be needing to have a gander at your recipe (and any other details) please.

Thanks!

This was my first batch, planning on replacing the palm with lard later.
45% palm oil
15% coconut oil
30% olive oil
5% castor oil
5% avocado oil

soaped at 110F, 29% lye concentration, I put it in the oven after setting it to 120F and then turned it off.
I wrapped the mold with saran after I took it out of the oven (so it won't get soda ash), so maybe that caused the problem? Because after I removed the saran (a day after i put it) the sticky layer evaporated a few hours later, then the soap got whiter on the top- maybe that's soda ash forming?
Plus- I cut the soap and it's full with glycerin rivers :cry:
Next time I'll lower my water content.

Thank you! :-D

Latest posts

Back