Sticky Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi help!!!
I made a face cleansing soap a few weeks ago.
The recipe and trace went well - it smelled fab however it was v soft and I left it in the mould for 9 days until I unmoulded it. It was still soft but started to harden up so I have left it another week before I had a test of it.

It foams well and is very creamy which is what I wanted however it has a sticky consistency which is strange - do I need to leave it longer or has something gone very wrong :(

Recipe below

70g Avocado Butter
490g Avocado Oil (unrefined)
105g Coconut Oil
35g Castor Oil
14g Lavender Essential Oil
7g Lemon Essential Oil
3g Peppermint Essential Oil
218g Distilled Water
93.4g Sodium Hydroxide

This soap is roughly two weeks old (assuming 9 days in the mold + another week before testing, and no time before posting). It's only been fully exposed to air for a week. I would wait at least another 3 weeks before testing. One part of the curing process is water evaporation - as water evaporates it will harden the soap. The other part of the curing process is giving the soap molecules time to reorganize, so to speak, into a well functioning soap. Both processes require a minimum of 4 weeks. Your soap will improve as it ages. I think the stickiness will also go away, but may take longer than 4 weeks. With a good amount of avocado oil, I would give this a minimum of 8 weeks before testing.

Is your Avocado Butter 100% Avo oil or is it a blend? In the US very few AVO Butters are 100%. I am just curious. Avocado Oil actually makes a very hard soap, but a hard soap that does not lather, unfortunately, so it is good you used some CO. Let it cure and it should lose its stickiness.

Back