Stickblending to Emulsion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW - super super helpful!

I read through the thread, and have a question - it sounded from some of the posts that folks add various additives (clay for example) to the oils before adding lye? I have always added after lye - and then it radically accelerates trace (like from super thin to gloppy in seconds, it seems)

Is placing additives to oils before lye the way to go? Fragrance also? If there is a thread i can read to learn more, could someone point me in the direction? I love reading threads, i just don't know if I am the most efficient "finder" of threads.

Thank you!

Hi Clarice,

Yes, you got it... I warm my oils and add all my additives -- clay, honey, oats, fragrance, colorant, etc. Give it a full 1 minutes stir with the stick blender then add my lye solution.

That's not to say that's the best way to do it. Some soapers prefer adding at trace (CP) or after cook (HP). I've been doing it so long I can't remember if there's much of a difference in the outcome or not. But one big advantage is that I'm much less likely to forget something. :rolleyes:

About "finding threads" -- there's a sticky in the Beginner's Forum that says the best way to search topics on SMF is Google:
(type your keywords here) site:soapmakingforum.com
Example:
additives site:soapmakingforum.com

HTH

I thought I would re-do the video about SB'ing to emulsion because it was embedded in a video about something else, but I think recognizing emulsion and when to stop so you can work more with your batter is really helpful. Many people mention their batter getting too thick for what they are attempting so I was hoping this might help people on their way.

What a great share! I've watched Youtube videos where everything from combining oils/butter to finished design are shown (some blending only to emulsion) but yours is quite helpful. It focuses on how to recognize emulsion. I'm currently focusing on this but a bit 'afraid' of not going far enough, I go a tiny bit further--practice makes perfect. I'm just not used to my batter being so runny; I'm doing better and trusting my 1st impression more now. Thanks so much for such a great close up look of the process!

I thought I would re-do the video about SB'ing to emulsion because it was embedded in a video about something else, but I think recognizing emulsion and when to stop so you can work more with your batter is really helpful. Many people mention their batter getting too thick for what they are attempting so I was hoping this might help people on their way.

Thank you, very helpful.

I agree....this video will help me a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong.....emulsion will help with doing the swirl techniques that everyone is doing? It will leave enough time to add assorted colors for designs? I want to swirl so badly but everything just gets away from me then I go pout for a week before I try again. Anyway......thank you so much for the video. It's such a joy when people share what they have learned about soaping.

Latest posts

Back