Stick blender recs? Anyone use a drill?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjbakke

Reaction score
What are good stick blenders that won't break the bank? I see some on e bay for $26, but not sure if they are any good.

And.....

Would using a drill attachment for mixing paint etc work for mixing soap? They are also used for mixing dry wall mud, I was thinking you could mix soap in a 5 gal bucket with this? Any one do this?

For small batches, I would go with a stick blender like the kind that Kitchen Aid makes. For large batches I use a cordless drill and a stainless paint mixer attachment.

I purchased this cuisinart http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGA6QI and am REALLY disappointed. Avoid this one; it's gotten a lot of good reviews but I was one of the ones who received a poor quality product. The blade doesn't stay in by itself, I have to spin it a while and keep pushing it back in before it finally sticks. Bought a $20 one from Target that I'll be using today; hopefully it's better.

Last edited by a moderator:
soapbuddy said:
For small batches, I would go with a stick blender like the kind that Kitchen Aid makes. For large batches I use a cordless drill and a stainless paint mixer attachment.

LOL. I can just picture Tim Taylor goggled, gloved, and ready for soapmaking with his turbo drill!!

I guess it never occured to me that a drill would make a perfect blender for large batches. Soapers surely are ingenious when it comes to the tools of their trade.

JackiK said:
soapbuddy said:

LOL. I can just picture Tim Taylor goggled, gloved, and ready for soapmaking with his turbo drill!!

I guess it never occured to me that a drill would make a perfect blender for large batches. Soapers surely are ingenious when it comes to the tools of their trade.
Just make sure that the battery is full on if you're working with a slow tracing 20 lb. batch. :oops:

soapbuddy said:
Just make sure that the battery is full on if you're working with a slow tracing 20 lb. batch. :oops:

Oh, my. Just the thought brings tears to my eyes.

I have an older Betty Crocker that I picked up at the Goodwill for $3 & another that appears to be brand new that I got for $4 (can't remember the brand).

I just pick them up when I see them so I always have a back up. As it stands I haven't burned up the first one yet. LOL.

My stainless stick blender cost $20 and I've made nearly 100 batches with it.

Important advice I received when I started using the stick blender, was to pulse it and mix in short bursts ... mix with it on ... then mix with it off. This prevents the blender from getting hot and burning out.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I can just imagine the look on my husbands face if he came home and I was blending soap with his DeWalt LOL

Thanks, I was looking today at walmart and they didn't have any stick blenders. I'll check out target next week. I think the drill idea I will save for when I do big batches ever.

Back