Steric Acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding plain stearic to a recipe can be tricky. It has a much higher melting point than the other oils you are likely to use.

Stearic is only added as a separate ingredient to some specialty soaps -- shaving soap and cream soap are two that I know of. It is used a fair amount in lotions, however. Why did you think you might need stearic for your soaps -- do you have something special in mind to make?

It's not necessary as has been said already. Some oils and fats are naturally high in stearic acid like palm or lard. Alone is also tricky to use - even at small % it can cause your soap to accelerate or seize.

I never use stearic in my CP soaps. The only time I ever used it was in M&P soap to make the soaps harder. But I quit using it as it can compromise the lather greatly so it must be used sparingly.

I have use stearic acid in many soaps and I have also made 100% stearic acid soap bars.

It is difficult to handle because it forms trace immediately! In less than a second trace is formed.

It is much easier to handle it using KOH rather than NaOH but this will give you a very soft soap. Good for shaving, not well for washing hands.

The 100% stearic acid soap will be hard and will give you a rich lather.

Latest posts

Back