Stearic acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking soap.

There is a lot of myth when we are looking at the hardness of a bar. My soaps are high in olive oil which has a very low hardness number but they are good hard soaps that are ready to sell at 4 weeks without any problems. All soaps will become hard with the exception of high castor oil and high hemp oil soaps which stay soft for a long time....

Congrats on your soap and .7% is a good logical number....

Good looking soap.

There is a lot of myth when we are looking at the hardness of a bar. My soaps are high in olive oil which has a very low hardness number but they are good hard soaps that are ready to sell at 4 weeks without any problems. All soaps will become hard with the exception of high castor oil and high hemp oil soaps which stay soft for a long time....

Congrats on your soap and .7% is a good logical number....

oh okay.. thank you Lindy :) that's a reassurance :)

pic (115).jpg

btw that's my very first cp soap-lavender, hard to get the bubbles to surface esp once the mixture is thick..and I also had some cracks.. any advice welcome :)

Very pretty. Some florals trace pretty quickly. Just gently banging the mold on the counter several times will help release a lot of the air bubbles. A agree with the hardness of bars. I too use a fairly high amout of OO and have nice hard bars after cure.

Nice looking soap!

Your experience is similar to mine w/ my high shea butter soap. If I stop blending it right away as soon as it emulsifies, it's fine. If I have to keep stirring or blending for any reason it quickly goes from pancake batter to cake batter to pudding. :)

The hardness number in Soapcalc is the hardness right after the soap is made. It's not really a measure of the hardness later on, as Lindy pointed out.

Also additives like sodium lactate can affect the hardness from Day 1 and Soapcalc doesn't take additives like that into account. It only looks at saponifiable ingredients -- the fats and fatty acids.

Thanks everyone! There are lots of beautiful soaps on the web and they too got me inspired :) Would try using sodium lactate next time Deeana, I'm now really curious about that stuff. :)

You can also use salt to help harden your soap. Use 1 tsp PPO and dissolve it in your water before adding the lye.

Hi Obsidian! I add sugar for bubbles but I heard salt will decrease bubbles..? I would love to try salt to help harden the soaps but what about the bubbles..?

Latest posts

Back