Starting out...Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriela

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I want to start making my own soaps for home use (laundry, dishes, shampoo, etc.). I have a 5 month old son and have decided that I want all of my cleaning supplies (and eventually beauty) to be homemade and natural because it's better for the environment and for him.
I have researched soaps endlessly on the internet and there is more than enough information but nothing beats talking to someone who has actually done it themselves. I would like a basic soap recipe that would be good for everything. All vegetable oils. Problem is I am in Romania and buying coconut oil, castor oil or any other fancy oils is virtually impossible and very expensive. I have looked for recipes with the oils I can buy and I can't find any. Basically, I can buy palm oil, canola, olive, sunflower and rice. I was thinking a good base soap would be palm and olive but I have no idea what amounts would make a good soap. Or even just olive (but I hear it's slimy and doesn't lather well).
So I would like to know what other people recommend. Only olive oil soap? Or does someone have a good recipe for soap with the oils I can get? I don't know. I'm a soap virgin.
And could I later turn this base bar soap into liquid soap for washing dishes, clothes, hair, etc...? Or would it be better to learn to make liquid soap?
Gosh, this is longer than I intended. I hope it's clear. Any help would be great. Thanks

Hi you just have to dive into soap making using the oils you readily have access too. It really depends on what qualities you're looking for in the soap and also whether you want scent and/or color. I advise against color soaps until your son gets more older so he doesn't develop any skin sensitivities or reactions. Play around with one of the soapcalcs (sticky is located at top of CP Soap Forum) plug in various scenarios using different percentages of the oils to see whether the soap produce by formulation will have more bubbles, conditioning (moisturizing) and/or lathering qualities.

When you want to make liquid soap you use KOH (potassium hydroxide) not sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide makes a more hardier soap bar compare to potassium hydroxide. It's a longer process making soap using KOH.

Hi Gabriela, Welcome!

may I recommend that you start small, with first understanding the basic process of soapmaking, in cold process (cp) soap, then branch out?

it seems logical and simple to me to begin with olive oil and palm, 50/50, or, sunflower and palm, and look closely at http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp. if you stare at it for a while it will become clear, I promise. Only add your oils to make up 100 %, let the lye and water amounts be calculated for you. Google for a step-by-step tutorial on how to make cp soap, line up some plastic or cardboard in your recycle bin for a mould, and you're off to the races.

Do you have Aldi/Hofer there? sometimes they have excellent prices on Nusetta, which is coconut oil, wrapped in foil, 250 grams, with the oils or butters. Coconut oil changes the face of soapmaking...

You will need lye. NaOH. Try your local Apotheke if there is no chemical supply house. A chemistry teacher at a local school might be someone to contact for information on where to get supplies.

Good luck!

PS baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), for baking, and vinegar, are excellent, biologically-friendly cleaning agents, and very cheap!

Thanks for the answers!! That soapcalc was great!!! I've been messing with it trying to figure out a good combo of what I can get. Coconut oil cost around 26 Euro a liter, so it's very pricey. According to the soap qualities page my best best for getting bubbles and cleansing would be either coconut or palm kernel (which I can't find yet). I was thinking of adding castor for more bubbly action. I guess I will do as you both suggested. Trial and error.

I do have one important question though. My husband bought me caustic soda but it's only >70% NaOH. There's around <30% salt and <7% washing soda(. It's specifically for soapmaking. Does anyone know how soap will come out with these two things added to it? Is this ok for the skin. I have no idea. I know I will have to modify the recipe for the lye content. Would superfatting be the way to go? We can also get liquid lye at my mother in laws company (water treatment company). Would that be better?

Back