Standard recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
Since I did my first CP batch, I tried several different combinations of oil. However I went back to my original recipe (palm oil, coconut oil and castor oil) this weekend and I think I will stick with it. I have another recipe for doing multiple colors that I will stick with too. Does everyone have a go to recipe or two or do you have more than one?

I don't know how to add a hyperlink using my phone, but I started a similar thread on January 19 that you may want to look at. :)
I did a search but didn't see it. However if someone wants to delete this post, I will defer to yours.

Yes you are right. I am more curious about wether everyone has a go to or do they change it up every time. In the other thread, I noticed that it took some people over a year but I found one that I really like and I will just tweak it a little for different results. For now I think 3 recipes will be just fine.

Don't get your sights set this early. My recipe changed several times before I finally settled. You just made your first batch last month. Give it time to see how it does over time. That's what too me so long to find my primary recipe. I tried probably 20 or more different recipes. By the time I tested and waited to see how they were long term.

I have two base recipes, my high lard bath bar and a salt bar.
I do occasionally alter the lard recipe to make it more or less cleansing, depending on who its for.
A batch for my hubby has more coconut while one just for me has a lot less.

About the only thing I change around is the type of liquid HO oil used. Generally I use safflower but I finally found sunflower so I'll use that for a bit.

If I'm making a whole batch for someone else like my son in law, I'll use olive. In fact, my daughter is coming to make soap today and she doesn't get my sunflower lol.

I used to make a bunch of different recipes but after a few years, I noticed most of those soaps weren't getting used. I cleaned out my stash yesterday and tossed around 20lbs of soap that was just sitting around getting old and funky.

I use 2 basic recipes: 1st is OO, CO, SO, Castor oil and shea butter added afterwards as a sf. The 2nd is a Bastile soap, with 75% OO, along with CO and castor oil and I occasionally will do a 100% CO soap.

Since I did my first CP batch, I tried several different combinations of oil. However I went back to my original recipe (palm oil, coconut oil and castor oil) this weekend and I think I will stick with it. I have another recipe for doing multiple colors that I will stick with too. Does everyone have a go to recipe or two or do you have more than one?

I have two base recipes...one for Regular Soap and one for Goat Milk Soap. I am experimenting with some other types of soap; a good Salt Soap that I can use on my feet between pedicures, a Coconut Soap for some friends who do a lot of deep sea fishing and an Avocado Soap just because. And I have a 'trade' soap that is being tested right now.

After a lot of test batches, I finally narrowed down a recipe I really like so I use that one base recipe for all of the bars I sell.

I have a second recipe for a salt bar that I use to wash my face, but for now, that is only for personal use since I've only made one batch of it (a few years ago) and it is lasting me forever! Eventually I'd like to make a few smaller batches with slight variances in the original recipe so I can do a bit more testing and eventually bring it to market once I'm completely happy with the final recipe.

I am still experimenting but I found that I am narrowing it down. I have a bunch of different recipes that are aging and I can really begin to feel the difference in the lather, skin feel and longevity.

I have a bowl of trial soap by my sink and my opinions have changed over time.

I currently have a base recipe for soleseife (I only change colors mostly, rarely additives) and another recipe that might be base for salt bars (still testing this).

My rice soap recipe has since been tweaked to adjust oil amounts but it's my base recipe now - sometimes it's plain, sometimes colored, sometimes it has different additives.

My high lard is the same. Haven't tweaked the oil amounts though coz it's my mom's favorite as it is but I change colors n additives here too.

I have a triple butter soap that's on its own that's also since been tweaked to adjust oil amounts. I don't usually change anything in this one coz it's too costly to experiment with and takes too long to cure. Plus it's one of my bestsellers the way it is.

Out of the five I've currently settled with, I only sell three. Soleseife, rice and butter ones.

Might be having one for kids soap soon, I hope.

Back