Source for Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnystar

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for tallow? I've been asked to do a small show in Nov. (my first) and the place I used to get my tallow from doesn't seem to carry it anymore. I'm looking for either a place in Georgia or an online source. I only need about 5 lbs.

I buy mine from Columbus Foods : http://soaperschoice.com/.

Also, if you have a Smart & Final warehouse store near you, they sell beef tallow, too. I found this out not too long ago, and when my Columbus Foods tallow runs out, I'm going to my local Smart & Final to buy it.

You also might want to check out restaurant supply stores near you.

HTH! :)
IrishLass

I just picked up 20 pounds of beef fat from my Price Cutter supermarket. They ground it fine for me so it takes less time to render. The fat was free, the grinding cost .15 per pound. I like rendering my own tallow.

Paul :wink:

Well I wish you were in Idaho. I could hook you up. My husband is a butcher and I get all my kidney fat from him. He grinds it up real fine and then I render it myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have a Smart and Final here, but I'll check my local Costco and Sam's Club. I checked out Columbus Foods, but I don't really need 50lbs. There is a local butcher here, so I can give rendering a try if I have to. I'll keep you posted.

:)

Ask for kidney fat if you can. He should not have a problem grinding it for you. May charge for the grinding, it makes a mess of our grinder. So we usually do that at the end of the day. If you get desperate I could try to send you some?

Yup, kidney fat is the best fat you can render from a beef. :) Good stuff! I try to get kidney fat, but can't get it often enough.:(

Paul :wink:

Beef tallow

I was wondering how do you render your own beef tallow? Do you just take the ground up fat and boil it in some water and then cool the pot so you can pry out the big white hockey puck that will have formed at the top?

I put it in the crockpot, with some water and salt. I do it outside, because I don't want the house to smell.

I stir it every 20 min or so, and when it's all melted, I strain it and put it in the fridge. The next day, I do it once more. It's really easy and very rewarding.

Back