sour goat milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
hi, anyone else out there leave their goat milk (straight from the farm) to sour before using, due to the natural sodium lactate produced which makes a harder bar. Got the info off Paul. question is, i'm not sure if i've left it too long. a couple of days out of the fridge. its definitely sour. can goat milk straight from the farm be rotten and unusable or still ok? don't want to waste a whole lot of oils.

I think that if the milk is sour/rotted that it would cause the soap to rot. But I am not positive about this. How long did you leave it out? Maybe an expert can help us out :wink:

I think sour milk is fine, but rotten milk probably is not.
Soapmaker Man makes sour goats milk bars, so I don't think its a problem.
I've used sourcream in a batch and so far it's fine, though it's still curing so I still need to wait and see.

My goats milk is stored in a half-gallon glass "milk jug" that sits all the time on my soap table at room temp. It gets a very slight sweet odor actually, and never separates or coagulates. Using the slightly soured GM does increase the hardness and really makes a lovely soap.:)

milk.jpg

Paul :wink:

Back