Sometimes Lye isn't the biggest danger

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
Two things I learned today:

1. Lye isn't necessarily the biggest danger in the soap room. I lined my wooden mold with freezer paper and sometime in the past I had read that if you place your mold in the oven for a little while prior to filling it, the heat from the mold helps the CPOP.

Well... I was preparing my lye solution (I do this in the kitchen sink and soap in the kitchen, so I am right by the oven), I started smelling wood burning. My oven hadn't even heated up to the lowest setting of 170 degrees. I quickly opened the oven and when I pulled out the mold, there is a burnt spot on the lid where heat had penetrated the freezer paper, nearly missing it catching on fire.

I dunno...scares me now.

2. When you add liquid silk to a water solution that contains sodium lactate, you get ammonia fumes. Careful on that, too.

The gremlins are trying to invade my house...need an exorcism!
:shock:

Yikes!! Maybe heat the oven slightly...turn it off and then add the soap mold. The residual heat would be enough to warm your mold.

I am not understanding what happened. Was the mold too close to the heating element? In order for paper to burn the temperature would have to get to 451 F (233 C) If the oven is only on 170 F or even if it was C that is not hot enough to ignite paper.

Granted if it was up against the element or if you have a gas oven I could understand it. Otherwise I would strongly suggest having someone look at it.

Ya know...I think being too close to the heating element is highly likely as the lid was sort of tipped cock-eyed in the mold. That would explain it. I just looked in the oven and it could have been the problem. I went ahead, made that batch and then mixed a smaller batch after. Two types in oven now. Lavender and AppleJacks. My husband tells me those are the most sought after at his work.

jarvan said:
Two things I learned today:

1. Lye isn't necessarily the biggest danger in the soap room. I lined my wooden mold with freezer paper and sometime in the past I had read that if you place your mold in the oven for a little while prior to filling it, the heat from the mold helps the CPOP.

Well... I was preparing my lye solution (I do this in the kitchen sink and soap in the kitchen, so I am right by the oven), I started smelling wood burning. My oven hadn't even heated up to the lowest setting of 170 degrees. I quickly opened the oven and when I pulled out the mold, there is a burnt spot on the lid where heat had penetrated the freezer paper, nearly missing it catching on fire.

I dunno...scares me now.

2. When you add liquid silk to a water solution that contains sodium lactate, you get ammonia fumes. Careful on that, too.

The gremlins are trying to invade my house...need an exorcism!
:shock:

Sending Madam Serena your way !:)

::Thiiiis House is Cleaaar::

i dont like wax paper, i use contact paper now(shelf liner)works well.

Latest posts

Back