Soft soap - how long in freezer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
I've unmolded my peacock swirl but it's too soft to cut. I've popped it in the freezer but how long should I leave it? Don't want it to be too hard to cut

Putting soap in the freezer will prevent gel, but not "harden" it. The soap gets harder as it goes through the saponification process, and putting it in the freezer will actually slow that down. How long ago did you make the soap? If it hasn't gelled, it can take a couple of days for the saponification process to finish.

I made it on the 31st so it's a little over 50 hrs now. I read on another thread where someone recommended putting it in the freezer

when you put it in the freezer and the water content freezes up it will melt when it thaws out and you may still have a soft soap . Like Navigator9 stated , the freezer doesn't give you hard soap, it just stops your soap from gelling . best thing to do is leave it in the mold for a few days until it firms up .

Yep, you just have to wait longer. The freezer won't help at this point. Getting it out of the mold might help it harden a bit faster now that the edges are exposed to air. How soft is it? room temp cheese or butter?

Just peeled the paper off and a pool of liquid was under there. It's definitely lye water. Can this soap be used??

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420219497.765402.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420219514.158421.jpg

Latest posts

Back