Soapy question. feeling like a failure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesgirl

Reaction score
Yesterday i made two bars of soap. one with my familiar recipe and the other a different recipe.
the first was with palm oil, coconut oil, and olive oil, it has three four colours and raspberry and vanilla scent. came out great.
Second batch was with bastile soap mix off Soaping 101. it has castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil with geranium EO and vanilla FO and colours mixed with extra oil
It hasnt been quite 24 yet. its a little soft to be expected but has these slight streaked areas that look like uncoloured soap (sort of yellowish oil colour)
here is a picture
batch 5 close up.jpg

Is this lye or oil or uncoloured soap?
Because of this unexpected result with a different recipe i have been worried that all my soap batches are not ok.
I did the zap test on all my soap and am not sure if they are ok, they all taste wrong to me.:cry:

That looks like glycerin rivers to me. It's a natural result of soapmaking. However, in another day or so you might tongue test it for "zap" to see if it's lye.

ok. will it weep if it lye or can lye be hidden in it.
also can it look fine and have too much lye.
im freaking out that all my soap is bad.
Ive tried to do the zap test but cant work it out.

The zap test is easy. Touch your tongue to your soap, or wet your fingers and rub it in the soap, then touch your tongue to your fingers. It's the unmistakable sensation of being slightly electrocuted. Are you runnin your recipes through a lye calculator before you make them? If not you should. There can be a typo or mistake in the recipe that you don't know about until you look yourself.

Sometimes that happens when I use colorants and my soap overheats just a bit. Then it gets those glycerin rivers. As long as it passes your zap test it should be fine. I think its just that you can see it more when colorants or TD is used. I have had a few batches in a row do that towards the centers. I added sugar to those ones and that heated it up more than usual so I just need to ease up on the insulation after I pour. Pretty colors by the way.

Back