Soap, the old fashioned way

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBien

Reaction score
I got everything ready to make my first batch of round soap. I poured the lye into the oils, and viola! my SB didn't work! So, I hand stirred the batch, just like grandma used to make. (I used to do it too years ago when I first started making soap and hadn't heard about the blender method.)

It took 40 minutes and man is my arm tired. I had to pour it into the molds at light trace because I just couldn't do it any more.

Will that be okay? (Please don't say no, by the way.) :oops:

Stacie

I just got my first stick blender, and was amazed at how fast it brought my soap to trace. And also how thick and "tracey" it was. Because all my hand stirring NEVER did that, I always poured at a light trace. In fact, that was all I knew... And yes, it (almost) always turned out just fine. :D
And the times when it didn't, it was other factors that were the problem, and not the light trace.

a word to the wise, stirring with a whisk works faster than just a spoon...

My 1st (& only) 1/2 dozen batches of CP I stirred by hand. Maybe that is why I never realy caught the CP bug :wink: .

haha i said screw the spoon from the start and went straight to sb...my hands are my tools..and will become my livelihood!

I did one batch by hand stirring and recieved no more satisfaction than when I SB it, sooo, no more HB for me.

MsBien said:
I got everything ready to make my first batch of round soap. I poured the lye into the oils, and viola! my SB didn't work! So, I hand stirred the batch, just like grandma used to make. (I used to do it too years ago when I first started making soap and hadn't heard about the blender method.)

It took 40 minutes and man is my arm tired. I had to pour it into the molds at light trace because I just couldn't do it any more.

Will that be okay? (Please don't say no, by the way.) :oops:

Stacie

Light trace should be fine. I pour my soap at a light trace quite often so I can achieve the swirls I want.

Tabitha said:
My 1st (& only) 1/2 dozen batches of CP I stirred by hand.
Maybe that is why I never realy caught the CP bug :wink: .

Tabitha, do you do mostly hp? do your colors turn out spotty? I like both methods, sure do love the "smooth" bars of cp, but hate waiting the 2-4 wks waiting period. I like that i use less scent in hp.

carebear said:
a word to the wise, stirring with a whisk works faster than just a spoon...

Absolutely carebear! When you SB is covered in bright yellow batter and you realise your white batter is not traced enough to pour....bring on the whisk!!! :wink: :lol:

Tanya :)

That was yesterday, BTW.

Sure wish I would have thought of a whisk. On the bright side, the soap is looking pretty nice so far.

Back