Soap Size & Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildflower

Reaction score
So...I've noticed the trend recently going toward uber-sized highly decorated soaps.

What i was wondering is...for all you soap-sellers out there, is this your personal preference, or is it more for your customers?

Whenever I do start making soap I have plans on selling, I'm just interesetd in doing it as a hobby for myself and gifts for friends and family eventually.

I can see that it would be fun to get my creativity out on some decked out batches, but i think my personal preferences for actual use are quite a bit smaller, less decorated, and on the more natural side.

When you do get one of those big, beautiful bars, do you cut it for use, or use it as is? (just wondering how to store in the shower :)

not a soap seller, but i wouldn't want to use a huge decorated bar in the shower!! too pretty! i'd probably leave it in my sock drawer so it scents my socks :lol: i prefer to use more natural soaps in my shower as well. that way i don't feel bad.

I don't sell but give away a lot and I can tell that my people are not interested in decorated soaps. When I give them choice to pick from a box of soaps, everyone picks the plain rectangle, simple color soap. They all are interested in smell rather then decorations.

They are cool, but I'd imagine they're awkward to use and I'd hate to drop one on my pinky toe! :shock:

Not a soap seller either (yet), but in the shower, I prefer a nice rectangular bar that feels somewhat hefty in my hand, but not so big that it's awkward for me to use. My fully cured bars measure out to be 3" x 2.25" x 1.25", which is just perfect for me.

I don't particularly like using round shaped soap or odd shapes such as cupcake-shaped soap, or soap full of chunky stuff like flower petals or buds, or big flakes of oatmeal, etc..... They sure do look pretty and all, but when I'm showering I go for the practical. If it feels odd in my hand or if it has things falling off of it, then it's just too much of an annoyance to me in the shower, and I'll pass on using it.

I'm not saying I don't like using pretty soaps, though. Pretty in soap is good for me as long as the prettifying stuff also serves a practical purpose, like colorful soap shreds or soap embeds, for instance.

IrishLass :)

I like the idea of giving pretty soaps as gifts, but I like a hefty, rectangular sized bar in the shower. If I'm gonna pay $6 for it, it HAS to be bigger than 4 ounces. Just my preference.

My customer base, family and friends that get my soap do not want decorated soap. They care about scent, lathering, and conditioning qualities. Some in that order, some in different order, like folks asking for unscented non drying soaps.

However I see a clear preference for a basic deck shape/size. My 3.5 oz soaps sell much better at markets than my 'oversized soaps' (5-6 oz and they cost the same per ounce) but I get requests for oversized soaps from some customers, mostly big guys with big hands.

The only 'decoration' I do is inserts, and those sell better if I make them in the shape of a deck of cards. I only sell 20% of those, as compared to the 'plain' ones. My 'plain' ones are different single colors and stamped. It seems people buy the confetti soaps as presents and the plain ones for themselves, however, lots of people I know like getting the multicolored ones as gifts.

You did not ask this question, but I sell soaps scented with EO and infusions, some unscented (chocolate, calendula oatmeal), and some scented with FO and maybe also some infusions and EO. I sell them in the ratio as listed 6:1:3 From this you might figure how my demographics differs from yours.

EDIT****

I DON'T have plans on selling. Just noticed that typo. Now I'll go back and read everyone's replies. lol.

I hope noone misunderstood me :oops:

I sell and find many of my regular customers are drawn to my more fancy soaps. I don't make a really large bar, but I still consider it too big for use in the shower and recommend it be cut into two or three pieces. The main reason for this is not comfort, but to get the advantage of beautiful smells in your drawers or linen cupboard, while using the other 1/2 or 1/3.

Cupcakes are great when cut in half, as the flat surface is great to wash with and the curved surface fits beautifully in your hand.

I also make soaps in a variety of moulds (circles, hearts, animals, flowers etc) and they seem popular, both as gifts and for their practical use.

I don't add 'things' on top of soaps anymore, as I don't like having to clean up stuff on my shower floor and I'm also concerned about what happens to that stuff next. I do like soap embeds and use them often. Plus I add different things of interest to my soap ... beer, coffee, teas, chocolate, milks etc.

I think when your regulars know your product is great, they love to try things that look a bit more dazzling as well!

I'm not a soaper but as a consumer I really hate using a square bar of soap - just doesn't fit my hand. I prefer the retangular shape 4-5ozs.

Latest posts

Back