Soap scents advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stationdragon

Reaction score
So I'm looking around to get an idea of percentage of scents to use in cold process (and melt and pour for that matter) and a thought occurred to me. There are essential oils, fragrance oils and flavour oils and at least the first two come in either concentrate or dilutes/blends. So, if a recipe says to use 2oz of oils etc (I don't know, I'm just using a random number here) would that be concentrate or dilute, would the amount to be added change if you were to use essential and the recipe is referring to fragrance?
Also I had problems with my first batches using water based food flavourings and I've been advised to steer clear of these for now, are flavour oils found on cosmetic suppliers web shops the same as food flavourings? Should I steer clear of these too? Are there any particular problems you can tell me regarding certain scents and scent types used in soaps, for example I know that some accelerate trace and vanilla affects colour, some get rejected to the top of the soap (like my water based lemon food flavouring) and others become weak.
Any help in this area will be greatly appreciated, it's all so new and I'm oh so eager

Percentage will really depend on how strong the FO or EO is.
First, look at the description and the recommended % usage. This is a good jumping off point. I tend to use a LOT of FOs from WSP (wholesalesuppliesplus.com) and I use most FOs below their suggested % because I like a lightly scented soap and their oils are strong.

Food flavors like extracts or Lorann candy oils are not so fab in soaps and would probably get really pricey. Stick with FO's that are safe for use in soaps

As for accelerations, read the reviews for each scent you are interested in. Often, someone will post their experience, especially if it accelerates trace. I find some florals accelerate a bit so I always read the reviews first and I just avoid anything that accelerates significantly.....BUT it could be of benefit in castile soap.....

Anything with vanilla can discolor soap so use a vanilla color stabilizer unless your aim is for a shade of brown.

Thank you for your response.
I'm aware there's a lot to learn and I don't want to find myself without answers when I've already started a recipe and unsure of which way to turn. That's why I'm asking questions as soon as I find myself a bit unsure.
That's a great start and by the looks of it some good advice.
I only joined the forum today and I'm pleased people come here to help people like myself, I hope I will someday be in your position and able to advise amateurs on their questions too.

Oh wow thank you, I've visited gracefruit many times but new directions aromatics I haven't come across yet. Great site by the looks of it, that's going in my bookmarks right away.

:)

Latest posts

Back