soap scent on skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lra

Reaction score
I made my first scented CP soap using lavender EO at 3% ppo. The soap smell amazing. However, when I use it in the shower the scent didn't remain on my skin. Does anybody experience the same thing or is it just me?

They need a 'popcorn' emoticon for people who are watching threads. LOL
I'm curious about this too. The reason is likely one that I asked about before which is the 'wash off' idea that not much sticks with soap and just rinses off. Scents and look are more for the experience.
However I know my Dove soap does leave a scent behind.. likely due to a chemical additive but I'm wondering what others have to say on this.
My soaps so far are natural scent and I do smell a bit of it afterwards.. but it's not pleasant.

My guess is you need to have a lot of scent and leave it on for a bit while say conditioning so the fragrance can penetrate the skin a bit. But even then it's only going to be faint after rinsing off unless you use more than you really should which isn't a good idea.
Lotion! That's what you need to do next. :)

Jenneelk, how much eo do you use ppo? I thought 3% is the max

I have found that soaps high in moisturizing and glycerin tend to leave scent behind more often than bubbly, cleansing bars (which makes sense.) However, eo's never seem to leave scent behind for me, except for gardenia!

For a better sticking scent, shoot for a high-moisture, low-cleanse bar with the max recommended FO, rather than EO. My Spice Trader and Lemongrass castiles both leave scent behind for some time!

I use the same base recipe for 90% of my soap, some scents stick to my skin and some do not. ime Vanilla's tend to scent the skin the best.

I found article from woman health magazine regarding bar soap vs body wash. In the article it said:
"Some soaps scented with essential oils—like Lush Cosmetics' jasmine-y Lust soap ($8 for 0.25 lb, lushusa.com)—have so much staying power, you can skip perfume. ("Fragrances are like oils, so water doesn't wash them off," explains Wilson.) That said, if your skin is sensitive, look for easy-to-find fragrance-free bars. The chemical base of soap isn't as smelly as that of body wash—meaning there's no need to cover it up with scents."

I got contradicting opinion about the staying power of the soap scents. This forum said that soap is wash off product so the most of scents will not stay on your skin. However, the article is saying the opposite thing.

Here is the link for the article: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/bar-soap-and-body-wash

Any thought?

If the scent sticks after bathing, chances are you're using too much.

Lush products are SO overwhelmingly strong to me that I can't stay in the store for more than a minute or two without feeling ill. And they do use FO to complement their EOs. I'm not surprised they stick.

If you like a particular scent, I suggest adding some in an unfragranced lotion base or diluting some in a carrier oil and using it as a perfume oil.

If you like a particular scent, I suggest adding some in an unfragranced lotion base or diluting some in a carrier oil and using it as a perfume oil.

I'm going to try my hand at solid perfume. From what I've researched its 50% beeswax, 50% jojoba or some other carrier oil and fragrance. Seems simple enough.

Overall I'm with you. My family just visited for the holidays and smelling all of their over scented B&B stuff was giving me a headache!

I use the maximum amount of scent recommended because I really like "smelly" soaps haha. Even in doing so, I can't really smell the scent on my skin for more than 20 or 30 minutes after the shower. I made an emulsified sugar scrub and scented it with my favorite scent and the fragrance really stays for hours after the shower.

I have a bought Sandalwood shaving soap, which really lingers. I mean, I put on a good amount of Bay Rum aftershave (homemade, of course) and later in the day I can really smell the sandalwood coming through again. I like the scent, so it's not an issue - other than making me wonder what they do that makes it stick like that.

I was given a sample bar from a local soaper that was scented with juniper. It had a nice smell but the scent stayed on my skin for hours afterwards and made me itch really bad. I ended up having to take another shower and wash it off. That sample ended up in a rebatch of scraps and I'll never use that companies soap again.
Even my strongest scented soaps only leave a faint smell for a few minutes. Lemongrass seems to be the one that sticks on skin the best.

I also forgot to mention that I've bought plenty of LUSH soap and have never had the scent stick on my skin for long.

Back