soap rind

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
made aloe vera soap last night and when I checked the heat in my oven it was way hotter than it should have been with the temp I had it set at (set at 150 but it was 237 degrees) so I didn't put the soap in the oven and I was using my heating pad on my feet so I didn't use that. I covered it with cardboard box and towels. it gelled but dang, when I cut it this morning it had that rind I was hearing about earlier. it peeled off some of the bars, I think cuz my cutter didn't cut it. it wasn't very thick, kinda like a thick skin. just so I get this clear in my mind--this rind is from over heating? does it dissolve or does it stay intact in water? I used the same recipe I always do, just doubled it but I soaped 10 degrees higher than I normally do as I was just adding slight color to the bars and not doing any kind of swirl and I took it to a med trace. I was under the impression that if soap over heated it would crack or do the volcano thing so I am kinda confused. could this skin be something that was in the aloe vera? I used it instead of water at 100% and it looked kinda cloudy. except for the rind the soap looks good. the third picture is a rind that I put in water and poked at--it doesn't seem to be dissolving
20190309_073027.jpg
20190309_073047.jpg
20190309_073056.jpg

very interesting--I had a bit left over so put in a single mold so it didn't gel and I had no rind. I think I am going to try a batch without gelling. I really love this soap, nice bubbles and my skin feels soft after using it

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back