soap pot question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowerburst

Reaction score
I have a few questions....1)Is it okay to use a stainless steel pot with a copper bottom on the outside? 2)How do you do a search of a particular topic in old posts? 3)After I pour a batch into molds can it be put in a back room that is probably only about 60 degrees?

x

hi there!

at the top right of this page is "search" click on that and put in you keyword to search the forums.

your soap pot is fine, just don't over fill it. leave plenty of room to stir your soap.

yes you can put it in a backroom. some here place their molds in the fridge so they wont go thru a gell stage (heat up) others cover with blankets and force gel. its a matter of preference. as long as you mix all your ingredients well you'll end up with soap. i would suggest you insulate your first few batches until you get the hang of it. i always insulated, but now i'm going to try the "chill" method.

happy soaping!

happy soaping!

flowerburst said:
I have a few questions....1)Is it okay to use a stainless steel pot with a copper bottom on the outside? 2)How do you do a search of a particular topic in old posts? 3)After I pour a batch into molds can it be put in a back room that is probably only about 60 degrees?

There's a "Search" button, at top of the forum, in between the "Recipes" and "Memberlist" where you Log in, that you can use to search old posts. I would stick to using an all stainless steel pot if you have one, instead of using your good cooper bottom pot. Soap needs certain range of humidity to cure properly. I believe with the cool temperature in your back room it wouldn't be ideal. Hopefully one of the mods or other experience soapers will clamor in and give you better advise base on their personal experiences.

oh my goodness but you guys are quick responders! I finally found the search button and now feel silly for not seeing it. Thanks for the help. I'm not quite ready to give it a go yet but I'm getting closer. I need to get the ingredients and a scale yet. I've been dropping hints so I'm going to wait and see what Santa brings first! Robin

Hello

I am just saying welcome and Happy Christmas little flower.
That wasn't a silly question. It takes ages to familiarize your self with everything.
Oh and good luck, you are about to enter a whole new world. :lol:

flowerburst said:

I stick all my molds in the refrigerator as soon as they are poured. Temperature 40 degrees. I don't let them gel. They come out great.

Can't help you with the pot - I soap in a 5 gallon bucket with RT oils and ice cold lye.

I am so so so excited to get going on this. I do have a ss bowl for mixing the lye into the oils but all I have to melt the solid fats in is a ss pot with a copper bottom and a ss pot with an aluminum bottom. I guess it would have been a better question to ask if it is okay to melt in either one of these before transfering the melted fats into the big bowl. I didn't even know enough to ask the right question, teehee. I have been reading up for about two weeks now(as much as I could with the holidays coming!). I'm a slow but eager learner.

x

as long as the copper is on the outside of the pot it's okay-you have a copper-clad bottom, right? and it's all stainless inside.

Yeah, the copper is on the outside to distribute the heat more evenly. I'm just going to use it to melt the solid fats so I won't hurt the bottom with high heat.

x

most oils i use do not need a hi temp, a medium-low temp may take a little longer, but you don't want to overheat your oils. they just need to liquify and become transparent.

happy soaping!

x

almost forgot, i mix 56 oz oil at a time and i gently melt in the microwave on 1/2 power (defrost) in a plastic mixing pitcher.

Oooo that sounds like a good idea. I have a big plastic bowl with a handle and spout on it I could use. Another question: do you use PH test strips? BTW, is it as cold down on your part of the coast as it is up here? 14 tonight!

Back