Soap not setting up after 3 days

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaraCara

Reaction score
I made a 4 lb batch of soap three days ago, recipe as follows:
20.4 oz each of Coconut, palm and olive oil
6.8 oz castor oil
19.1 oz of lye/water (50%) solution
14.1 oz added water
2.7 oz FO
Titanium dioxide
Fuscia lab colour
Brilliant blue lab colour

This was pulled in SM3 and is my typical 30-30-30-10 recipe and usually sets up more quickly. The soap did heat up considerably and oils spilled out of the mold (it was filled to the rim). The soap that had the TD mixed has hardened but the rest is a supersaturated spongy greasy disappointment. Has anyone had this happen with lab colours? Admittedly, the colours are extremely rich so I probably put a few more drops in than necessary. There was a smaller mold for excess soap that set up nicely (had more TD soap in it). Should I just wait a week or so?

I can post pics later. Just looking for feedback at the moment.

Thanks.

Hi
6% superfat. The lye amount was only half of 19.1 oz (50/50 solution). It's not lye heavy (no zap) and the portion of the soap that had TD is hard. It's the rest that I coloured with lab colours that is very soft and oily.

Hmm...Soapcalc comes up with a similar calculation. I really don't think it's the lye but the colorants, because there is a difference between how the soap with TD has hardened and the rest (using lab colours) has not.

Were you on the brink of too much water so the higher amount of lab color set you over? But since you said you added extra 'drops' not sure it would have made a difference. I've only used lab colors a couple of times and haven't had a problem (other than the color not being the intensity that I wanted). Hope someone else with more experience can help.

Ok so here they are. The first two are of the soap in question. The white is hard but the coloured portion is clearly not. Very oily and squishy. The last photo shows two lighter bars that were in a smaller mold, which turned out fine because there was less of the coloured and more white. Both are from the same batch. I did not dilute the lab colours (too lazy :wink:) so it was literally drops of colour added. Strange indeed.

photo (11).jpg

photo (12).jpg

photo (10).jpg

As Juiceman said- too little lye. Your calculations got screwed up somewhere. Diluting lab colors which you should do before you use them won't make soap look like that. I would recheck your lye calculation.

Well, I'm stumped because one part of the batch is completely solid, tastes terrible and lathers nicely. Thanks to all for your input though. I could very well have messed it up with the lye but I'm going to put this one away and see what happens to it.

If you used TD it might be because of that. Let us know what happens after awhile but it might be one of those that doesn't harden- if not you could always throw it into a pot and cook it. It wouldn't be zappy if there wasn't enough lye so tasting terrible is something it should do after all it is soap. :)
Good luck I hope it turns out for you.

I think your soap looks good and I'm sorry but I don't know why one didn't set up as well. The only think I see a little off is 10% castor is a bit higher than I use and may make it a bit sticky to start. I think you have the right idea, put it away a while and see what happens.

As for your lye amount, you are correct. 19.1oz of 50% solution is 9.55oz of lye which soapcalc has as a superfat of 7%, and 9.55oz of water, which together with an additional 14.1oz = 23.65oz of water, just a wee bit less than full water.

Latest posts

Back