soap nightmare. Now what should i do

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissChris

Reaction score
Put on your thinking caps...
I told my niece i was going to just mix up what i had left and make a large batch of soap.
so, I go to the store.
when i get back, she did me a favor and surprised me.
She measured and mixed up my soap oils for me.
now wasn't that just special... lol
The good news is that she knows how to measure right. The bad news is, look what she did.

NOW the goal here is how to fix this mess.
Poor thing took me literally that i meant ANY open oil container, but i was going to just finish a small mold of a few. lol
(not worried about the molds, i have several large molds)
problem is how to fix this so it will be a good soap now all mixed up in a large pot.

>> Give it your best shot <<

1 Castor Oil 3.50 oz
2 Lard, 15.15 oz
3 Sunflower Oil 11.50 oz
4 Coconut Oil, 9.08 oz
5 Olive Oil 6.00 oz
6 Cocoa Butter 1.00 oz
7 Grapeseed Oil 6.00 oz
8 Corn Oil 6.00 oz
9 Red Palm Oil 15.70 oz
10 Crisco, new 23.30 oz
11 Vegatable Oil 12.70

Totals 116.46 oz

Soap Bar Quality Range:
Hardness 31 Cleansing 6 Conditioning 67 Bubbly 9 Creamy 28 Iodine 90 och
INS 110 Lauric 4 Myristic 2 Palmitic 19 Stearic 6 Ricinoleic 3
Oleic 30 Linoleic 31 Linolenic 2

Guess i am overly tired cause all i see is a big mess.
I been fighting stage 1 cancer. so, maybe i am missing something in fixing it with too much stuff on my mind today. Any ideas for fixing this recipe are appreciated.
:)

I am sorry to hear about your illness. Keep your chin up. I would put the oils in a bucket with a lid and label the amounts. Set it aside and go back to it when you are feeling better.

I am sorry to hear about your illness. Keep your chin up. I would put the oils in a bucket with a lid and label the amounts. Set it aside and go back to it when you are feeling better.

no, i think i need help with this one

I'm not sure what you think the problem is. You want to alter/add to the recipe that your niece mixed? You don't want to try it the way it is?

I like the numbers as you’ve copied them. Give it a long cure and see what happens. Confetti half of it if you don’t want to keep 20+ bars around for testing.

Hi! I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly. I played around with the numbers a bit and I ended up adding massive amounts of lard, coconut oil, and palm oil. That got me to 19 L+M, 29 P+S, 29 Oleic, and 16 L+L. :/ ending batch size is 253 oz, or more than double what you started with which seems like a waste. Since you know the percentages, why don't you store it like lsg mentioned and use a little bit at a time, cutting it with other oils to increase your L, M, P, and S and decrease you Ls?

ETA: OR follow Battlegnome's sage advice and just go for it! Could be really cool to see what happens. I have a lot of old oils I wouldn't mind getting rid of/ transforming, now that you mention it.
Hope you feel better.
Allie

I too would make sure it is all mixed well and do a 1# batch to see what it turns out like after it cures.
Bucket the rest with the amounts for later. If you hate the cured bars then toss out the other oils.

thank you for all your advice... I kept thinking more lard more coconut... and it just seems to be still too-too creamy and conditioning to me. Just could not think at that point any more! LOL I will try a small batch for a couple of bars and see what happens. will let ya know..

well, on a clear day! lol i added 2 more ingredients and my inc numbers came out PERFECT!
should make a great soap now. thanks for your help. why i could not see this yesterday i dont know. will have to post them when i take out them out of the molds.

have to call them my smorgasbord or little dab will do ya's. lol

well, all turned out ok... think will very bubbly too.
Made 4 batches from it all.... Two of them i just put in all kinds of colors and let it do whatever it was going to do with just a little twist. lol Did not think it was going to turn out at all, but it has. The pink did not turn out like i wanted but still did ok... and the honey, oatmeal, beets and lemon turned out ok... anywhere, Here are the results. (still rough, not cleaned the edges yet)

Attachments

• IMG_6941.JPG
    IMG_6941.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6940.JPG
    IMG_6940.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back