Soap Making Dangerous???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ecobean said:
...assuming I don't blow myself up with a lye volcano!

You're all about blowing things up! Relax... enjoy... and remember lye into water.

Other than that... the only way to blow things up is by skimming the glycerine from the soap, nitrating it, and adding some diatomaceous earth. This is something you can't do accidentally, though...

I also have very small children in the house. I soap after they've gone to bed. I have had a (thankfully minor) incident involving my toddler and a small amount of raw soap I had put in the fridge to prevent gel. She rubbed it on her bare belly, thinking it was lotion. I managed to get her quickly wiped off and into the bath. A few small blisters came up, but were gone the next day after a thorough application of aloe gel (so glad I got that stuff!). So I would again caution you with regards to your kids. I have my lye up near the ceiling where not even my older kids can reach.

I started very simple... with a laundry soap batch (meaning it was shredded shortly after unmolding). Also, the plastic drawer organizer makes a great mold! The smallest held 1 lb of soap (measured by the oils only, so 1 lb of oils) and gave some really cute little bars. For those I lightly grease with vaseline rather than using a liner, the soap slid right out. :)

Good luck!

Thanks! I did it after the little guy went to sleep, and my goggles and gloves came off after about ten minutes. I wasn't about to wear them for two hours! No splatters, no explosions, no volcanos, and no toddler waking up during the process. I can't wait to make another batch when he goes to sleep tonight!

ecobean said:
Thanks! I did it after the little guy went to sleep, and my goggles and gloves came off after about ten minutes. I wasn't about to wear them for two hours! No splatters, no explosions, no volcanos, and no toddler waking up during the process. I can't wait to make another batch when he goes to sleep tonight!

I have to tell you, I'm impressed - 10 minutes for the gloves and goggles. Mine rarely last that long - usually (and more than likely very incorrect) its from just before I weigh the lye, pour, stir, and pour. Then stick blend for "for a while" until the goggles are driving me crazy. By then I'm usually close to trace so I'm I'm just super careful until the lid goes on the crockpot. After that I keep my hands out of it until molding except to stir 'cause it burns & stings until its finished cooking.

Post pics when you can, and congrats!

Stay simple for a LONG time. As my skills increased I became more lax. THATS THE DANGER!

The soap in the fridge is extremely scarey, as is leaving lye to cool. I don't have children, but I stick to room temperature soaping and allow soap to gel in the microwave (microwave is off).

Soaping is so addictive my kitchen is a complete lab, I've left lye on the dining room table, and fo's and eo's everywhere. If you have children DON"T get lax, kids will take a keen interest in what ever you are doing and lye contact with the eyes can lead to blindness.

carebear said:
I always scream "start simple" but there is a side of me that counters with "go with your gut".

But be aware that the poppy seeds are quite "scrubby" so I'd go easy on them!

I totally agree...

And just to add on the whole exploding meth lab its not from the lye, its mostly because of the other chemicals used like Lithium metal, Hypophosphorous acid, and Red phosphorus (which can explode from contact or friction its the stuff that road flares and matches are made from).

(and just a side note...I am not a meth producer.. I just know a bit about chem/bio from my micro-molecular bio major days :) )...

So you are ok :) just wear a shirt, shoes and eye protection so you dont wind up getting lye solution in your belly button or between your toes like I have done in my less-informed days ;)

Actually, I thought it was pretty interesting Ecobean was afraid of blowing up her kitchen.
Over here people aren't into meth or other real heavy drugs probably cause they're too busy smoking grass, but we did have several croftybomb incidents...

dagmar88 said:
Actually, I thought it was pretty interesting Ecobean was afraid of blowing up her kitchen.
Over here people aren't into meth or other real heavy drugs probably cause they're too busy smoking grass, but we did have several croftybomb incidents...

Me too. :) thats why I wanted to give some more background info as to what makes it **BANG!** lol...

I think its a great idea to ask questions like that especially if your unsure... its important to know what youre getting into...I know I had the same questions when I started soaping :)

I mostly thought it would eat a hole through my table if spilled like in Fight Club... lol

That is exactly the answer I was looking for Ian, thanks!!! Not very versed in chemistry but have been doing a lot of reading to avoid disasters.

Soapmaking dangerous??

Poppyseeds will make your soap way too scratchy!! Please keep those goggles on while handling the lye and the raw soap. Don't need to wear them while just fiddling with your oils and additives...but a splash of lye water or even raw soap can make a very very serious eye injury. I had to try several pairs before I found one that was comfortable and I pull them off as soon as I can....but I am not taking any chances with this stuff.

soapmaking is dangerous.

so is boiling and draining spaghetti, using a slow cooker or a pressure cooker, and using your oven.

think things through and then proceed taking reasonable precautions.

Like carebear said, caution is key. I've given myself second degree burns making rice and draining pasta, that hasn't stopped me from cooking, it's just made me more cautious as I am doing it.

Overthemoon I agree can't count the # smallburns on my hands reaching in and getting to close top of oven. I am still the cook. As long as you have a plan and stick to it soaping you should be fine.

Starting out

When I first started out, I read that long sleeve shirts, goggles and a mask (like doctors wear) were necessary. Well, I'm not the neatest in cooking and soaping ;) I've learned NOT to wear long sleeves as once the fresh soap gets into the material, you continue to be burned/irritated and usually at a crucial time where, if you go to change your shirt, you have some kind of mess on your hands. I wear short sleeves so I can run my arm under cool water. Have a bottle of vinegar to splash on after rinsing. It helps cut the stinging. Then later if the area is irritated, put tea tree oil, aloe vera or other things that works for you on it to help heal it faster.

As for goggles, I wear glasses so I can read my recipe and most goggles don't fit over them (unless they are the expensive ones). My glasses work just fine.

As for a mask, I do wear that just when I'm adding lye to my liquids. My kitchen sink window is open, but it's generally not enough and the mask helps a bit more. Still get the fumes, but not as bad.

As time goes on, you'll find commonsense methods that work for you.
IDLaura

dagmar88 said:

What is a croftybomb?

ecobean said:
Wow thanks for all the helpful responses! I picked up the last bottle of lye at Menards.

Scented Oils: lavender, pomegranate, pina colada, and cinnamon nutmeg
Safflower oil, Saffron, Condensed goats milk can, lye, lard (which I may have to take back as it is not 100%), castor oil, heavy cream, dish gloves, a plastic drawer organizer, a cake cutter, a miter box, honey, cocoa butter oil w/ vitamin e (also has a lot of other stuff in so I am not sure if I can use it), pure pomegranite juice 2 glass candy thermometers, a pyrex measuring cup, pure honey, pure aloe vera juice, bamboo drawer organizer (I am going to try to use these as molds), wax paper, poppy seeds, olive oil, rubbing alcohal...oha and ice cream. But thats not for the soap. :-D

If Menards doesn't get in more lye soon, ask them to order it for you. My D & B store (like a Farm & Ranch type) carries the liquid lye for drains mainly. They ordered what I wanted (a case of 12) and had it within a week.

I saw your post on the scents. Even health food stores have EO/FO's that aren't meant to be used in soaps. I bought my first scents from there and it seized the soap so hard I could hardly grate it for my laundry. I would recommend doing a search online for soap making fragrances and compare prices on different sites. Then order small bottles to see if you like that fragrance. Not all fragrances smell the same from site to site either. Some will sell .5 to 1 oz samples for a reasonable price. That way, when you find one you like, you can invest in a larger bottle.

Cocoa butter with lots of other stuff in it....I wouldn't chance it. Depending on the other stuff, it could cause a batch to fail. Get just plain cocoa butter. You can get it smelling like cocoa butter (which added with cherry fo, makes a lovely Valentine day soap ;) ) or fragrance-free....but still has all the wonderful properties. (Anyone remember Palmer's cocoa butter in a stick that was supposed to help you from getting stretch marks?? Didn't work on me :( )

I tried wax paper in my box mold but it didn't work....think the heat ate thru it. So I use freezer paper, which does good.

I don't know where you're at, but check your local newspaper to see if anyone advertises dairy goats. It would be cheaper to buy a gallon of milk to freeze and use later than buying can milk at the store. Tho I have to say, some states are death on selling raw milk (I just left one), but there are ways around it. Or in the milk section, they have fresh goats milk and I've found that to be cheaper than the canned.

What's in the lard that it's not 100%? I use Snowcap brand, which is hydogenated with BHT and something else to keep it from spoiling. I enquired at my local store about getting beef and pork fat so I could render it. But at $3.00 a pound, I passed on it.....not sure it will be more reasonable once hunting season is over.

As long as it's not just plain ol' vanilla, that ice cream is good to have also! ;)
IDLaura

I use lard with BHT and what not in it. It works fine. Those are antioxidants.

For my first batch I colored the soap with unsweetened cocoa and swirled it. It smelled like chocolate pancakes (probably the coconut oil).

Laura, it is hydrogenated Lard, but has been working fine!

Thanks for all the responses!!! :)

I have worked in Chemical factories for nearly 40 years now and was once told that Caustic Soda even down to 4% was about the worst thing you could get in your eyes. I regularly get small splashes on my skin from leaking pipes and pumps whilst working in the run down factory I am employed in at the moment and just wash it off straight way as it gives a bit of an itch as it starts to saponify you. Strong Sulphuric Acid bites like molten steel the second it touches your skin, even a tiny drop.
Yes I would say from the point of view of damage to your eyes, then Soap Making can be dangerous. Steve. :D
Sodium Hydroxide is used in the manufacture of Crack Cocaine and depending on where you live, the Cocaine may be easier to get than the Lye. :D

Back