Soap is drying out my skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever try the soy wax in your soap @winusuren? If so, how did it compare to the palm olein in your current recipe?

Why are you afraid of using refined vegetable oils? I confess I never really thought about it before because I assumed the safety standards for oils consumed as food is more than good enough for a rinse off product like soap. I find there’s lots of misinformation about so-called all-natural products with condemnation of refined products. So I’m wondering if there is a reason that you fear refined food safe oils that you are using as long as they are coming from a reputable source.

Where are you in India? I got to visit Rajasthan in 2016 along with New Delhi. A school I visited made soap for washing laundry and other household cleaning, but they had never tried making bath soap. I should get back in touch with the head of the school and see if my friend or someone else there could start reading SMF.
Hi...Yes I've tried soaping with soy wax but haven't used a whole bar till now. As I have soaps older than the soy wax added batch, I have just tried a small piece for 3 to 4 days. It was good on my skin and non-drying. The only problem with leaving out palm olein completely and adding soy wax is the cost. Soy wax is approximately thrice the price of palm olein. I'm located in Tamil Nadu (South India).

Though it is an edible oil, its hexane extracted and undergoes a lot of chemical treatment. When we make soap out of it, the extra superfat(unsaponified oils) will be the chemically treated oil. So when the oil comes in contact with our skin regularly for years, won't it cause any skin issues? I don't know whether my assumption is right or if I'm over thinking:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Palmolein has a nice fatty acid profile for soap. Here in the USA I am coming up blank in online searches to buy it. The soy wax is basically stearic acid, but Palmolein has balanced palmitic and oleic acids. Hmm. Now I’m going to need to make a trip to the 3 South Asian grocery stores in town here to see it they stock Palmolein. I’m looking to optimize a vegetarian soap for my sister and Indian friends. The palm oil recipes I’ve used over 25 years contribute a slightly sticky finish to the bars, so I’m wondering if the processed Palmolein does the same thing. If so, perhaps the addition of stearic (soy wax) in a limited amount may balance the feel of the bar? What do you think? Guess I’ll be playing with the soap calculator later. 😉

Many people share your concern about how foods and personal care products are processed. Honestly, I don’t know if you are overthinking processed oils in soap. Do you sell your soap? If you do, then customers may perceive a benefit from oils that have never been processed with chemicals they don’t trust. But then, I don’t actually know how regular coconut oil or palm oil are processed. Some vegetable oils are cold pressed, but I don’t know how the others are processed. And many people think essential oils are safe, natural and beneficial, but we use EOs that have been extracted through various processes, and they aren’t all safe. They’re a common source of skin irritation and allergies.

I’m just starting to sort through all of my FOs and EOs, researching IFRA rates and allergens for each, and how long each fragrance sticks and/or discolors. The plan is to do a humongous destash! The goal is to keep 10 FOs and 10 EOs with printed information sheets on each oil for easy reference and a spreadsheet to track performance. That said, roughly 30% of the soap I make is unscented and uncolored.

@winusuren, do you keep records of how your skin responds to the various recipes? Do you use only one type of soap for a week or longer? Do you track what time of year you test? (Not only because of temperature and humidity, but because of clothing that may contain detergent additives that rubs against the skin.) My husband had eczema on his shins in the winter for more than 10 years. It turned out he didn’t get enough vitamin D in winter, and once he started taking D supplements, the shin eczema disappeared. Identifying the true source of skin problems may require some serious detective work!

If you ( or family or customers) feel better avoiding chemically processed oils in soap, then that’s the way to go. As for me, I’m not worried about food safe oils because . . . Makeup! I have NO idea how most of the ingredients are manufactured. How much lipstick have I swallowed over the years? All those petroleum chemicals and dyes! What effect has eye makeup had on my eyes? What chemicals have I absorbed from foundation and blush? What about the air fresheners and perfume I have inhaled? I love scented candles, what have they done to my lungs? You get the picture. I have no shortage of things to overthink in my life. I’m not very worried about the basic ingredients in soap because it rinses off. If you feel better limiting the sources and processes of manufacturing the oils you use in your soap, that is more than reason enough for your choices.

I will have to look up Tamil Nadu to learn more about it. I understand it’s very different from Rajasthan.

The soy wax is basically stearic acid,
Just jumping in to quickly mention that there are various products called “soy wax“ and they have different fatty acid profiles. Fully hydrogenated soybean oil is very high in stearic, but the fatty acid profiles for partially hydrogenated soy products are not all that different from lard, tallow or palm. That makes sense because the soy products were originally formulated to be used in cooking and baking.

Just jumping in to quickly mention that there are various products called “soy wax“ and they have different fatty acid profiles. Fully hydrogenated soybean oil is very high in stearic, but the fatty acid profiles for partially hydrogenated soy products are not all that different from lard, tallow or palm. That makes sense because the soy products were originally formulated to be used in cooking and baking.
And pie crust! Thank you for the clarification @Mobjack Bay. 😊 Yes, the partially hydrogenated soy is listed in the soap calculator. Where does one find partially hydrogenated soy? Not going to order right now, but I am curious. For giggles, I checked out Crisco shortening.

Ingredients
Soybean Oil, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Palm Oil, Mono And Diglycerides, TBHQ And Citric Acid (Antioxidants)

Plenty of soap potential there, but there’s no way to know what percentages to plug into a calculator. Too bad.

so I’m wondering if the processed Palmolein does the same thing.
Actually I've tried palmolein at 50% in a recipe. The soap is great and non sticky. It adds longevity to the bar and as a bonus it's very cheap. I've given the soap to a few people. No one complained and they liked the soap.

perhaps the addition of stearic (soy wax) in a limited amount may balance the feel of the bar? What do you think?
I've tried a recipe similar to @KiwiMoose coconut, palmolein and olive each 20%, soy wax 100% hydrogenated 15% and the rest rice bran and castor. I'm really happy with the output. It adds more creamy lather, doesn't dry out my skin and it's non sticky too.

Last edited:
do you keep records of how your skin responds to the various recipes? Do you use only one type of soap for a week or longer? Do you track what time of year you test? (Not only because of temperature and humidity
I've tested few recipes and haven't kept record so far but hereafter planning to keep a track. A 100g soap lasts for about 20 to 22 washes, so I use a full soap and then only go for the next one. I've not tested soaps based on climatic changes.
Makeup! I have NO idea how most of the ingredients are manufactured. How much lipstick have I swallowed over the years? All those petroleum chemicals and dyes! What effect has eye makeup had on my eyes? What chemicals have I absorbed from foundation and blush? What about the air fresheners and perfume I have inhaled? I love scented candles, what have they done to my lungs? You get the picture.
This really makes sense. Better I'll stick to the high palmolein recipe. It's good on skin and I can sell them for a lower cost too.

"I will have to look up Tamil Nadu to learn more about it. I understand it’s very different from Rajasthan".

My I know on what basis u say Rajasthan and Tamilnadu are different?

Last edited:
Actually I've tried palmolein at 50% in a recipe. The soap is great and non sticky. It adds longevity to the bar and as a bonus it's very cheap. I've given the soap to a few people. No one complained and they liked the soap.

I've tried a recipe similar of @KiwiMoose coconut, palmolein and olive each 20%, soy wax 100% hydrogenated 15% and the rest rice bran and castor. I'm really happy with the output. It adds more creamy lather, doesn't dry out my skin and it's non sticky too.
It sounds like the recipe from @KiwiMoose is a winner! Tomorrow I’ll be on the hunt for Palmolein. I’m the meantime, I found partially hydrogenated palm oil at my favorite carrier oil supplier, Soapers Choice. It will be a better alternative for me because I won’t have to melt and mix the entire container to blend the PO before measuring it for a recipe. First I need to use up the PO I already have.

I've tested few recipes and haven't kept record so far but hereafter planning to keep a track. A 100g soap lasts for about 20 to 22 washes, so I use a full soap and then only go for the next one. I've not tested soaps based on climatic changes.
This really makes sense. Better I'll stick to the high palmolein recipe. It's good on skin and I can sell them for a lower cost too.

"I will have to look up Tamil Nadu to learn more about it. I understand it’s very different from Rajasthan".

My I know on what basis u say Rajasthan and Tamilnadu are different?
I had seen several articles on woman owned startup soap businesses in India, @winusuren. I see an advantage of keeping costs down since you plan to sell. What do you think of offering 2 soap types: one for everyday that’s affordable, another that is a luxury product? You may get the most business with the lower cost soap. Or you may discover that buyers are willing to spend more for perceived luxury to treat themselves or to purchase a gift. Just thinking out loud here on my keypad.

Rajasthan has a drier climate overall that includes the Marwar Desert, also known as the “Land of Death.” We stayed in Jodhpur and visited some very rural villages to see how they stored water in taankas. One of the women with us was from Southern India. She said the climate was not as severe and that there were regional differences in food. Outside of that, I have a great deal to learn!

Thank you @Mobjack Bay. I found soy shortening along with palm shortening at Soapers Choice. Now I just have to figure out if I’m ambitious enough to use up 30 pounds of shortening in a reasonable time. I don’t sell, and my friends and family can’t use soap nearly as fast as I can make it. Maybe the local food pantry. We have a large South Asian population here and they hold many community events. I’ve shown up at a weekly luncheon to give soap away before. Now that Covid is “over” I should visit again. With soap, of course! ☺️

Hi,
I am a new soap maker from India and have made 6 batches of soap so far and learning a lot each time I make soap from the forum mainly. I would like to thank each and everyone in this forum for sharing your experience. Now the problem is I feel all my soaps to be too drying. I used 30% CO, 30% palm, 30 olive, 5 castor, 5 sesame and superfatted with 5 percent shea butter in my first recipe and it was too drying. Then I reduced my CO to 25% with the combination of same oils and Shea butter in the last three batches with 5 percent superfat. Even that was too drying for me. Now after learning from the forum, I've planned to reduce my CO btw 16 to 18 using the same combination of oils and Butter. When I run my recipe in the lyecalc, I could see that the saturated:unsaturated is 38:62 or 40:60. I'm planning to add 7% SF, to make my soap even more milder but I'm afraid my soap will develop DOS. What am I supposed to do??? Has anybody superfatted your soap at 7% with the above sat:unsat ratio???
Hello! All of my bar soaps are 7% superfat and I prefer pko & Co blended. What do you mean that you used shea to superfat?

Sometimes the skin has to adjust to natural soap and will eventually stop being so angry. 😄 I've had excellent feedback on my bar & LS but for personal use, I prefer LS or body wash because I can do much more with them.

I hope your soap making journey will always be yours! 🤗

Hello! All of my bar soaps are 7% superfat and I prefer pko & Co blended. What do you mean that you used shea to superfat?

Sometimes the skin has to adjust to natural soap and will eventually stop being so angry. 😄 I've had excellent feedback on my bar & LS but for personal use, I prefer LS or body wash because I can do much more with them.

Hai.. Actually I set superfat as 0 in soap calculator and added 5% Shea butter seperately not with the regular oils. That's one of the soaps I made while I was a newbie. At that time I didn't know that there is no use of adding an oil or butter seperately as a superfat in cp soaps..😊

@ScentimentallyYours If you’re thinking about using the Soapers Choice soy shortening, you may want to ask for additional information. The website says it’s a blend of soybean oil and fully hydrogenated soybean oil, with no partially hydrogenated oil. I’m not sure what that means in terms of composition.
Good to remember @Mobjack Bay. Soapers Choice has a page where we can download current SAP values of their oils in an Excel spreadsheet. I will make a note to self to download the SAP values at the time I order any blended oil and tape it to the product.

When I first made soap I did a zero superfat due to my job. My wife could not use it so I went to 5%, then 7%sf. She still
Needed to put lotion on after a bath or shower or her skin itched. When I went to 10% or higher, she had no need for lotion and her skin felt baby soft.

When I first made soap I did a zero superfat due to my job. My wife could not use it so I went to 5%, then 7%sf. She still
Needed to put lotion on after a bath or shower or her skin itched. When I went to 10% or higher, she had no need for lotion and her skin felt baby soft.
Did you look at correlation between seasons when the soap was being used and itchy skin? I ask because my husband had terrible itchy skin every year in late winter. Realizing that late winter was a time following prolonged lack of exposure to the sun, he started taking vitamin D supplements. Since taking vitamin D, the itchy skin issues have disappeared.

It’s hard to know what all the variables are when we test our soap. Sometimes there is a correlation, and we have to be careful to track variables to avoid mistaking correlation for causation. The higher super fat in your recipe may have helped. Or there may be another variable at play such as winter.

I'd be interested to know the cleansing number of your recipe. If I go much above 12, my skin gets very dry and itchy, no matter how much superfat I use. So for me, lowering the cleansing value was the key. :)

Latest posts

Back