So totally noob questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rains Mirage

Reaction score
So anyways I only get paid on the 1st or the the Friday before depending on if the 1st falls on a holiday or weekend. My ex left me with about a Mt. Rainier size mountain of debt and my mom helping me get it paid off by letting me live rent free till Jan, has stipulated I can only spend 10 percent on my crafts.. So I only have 70 bucks a month.

Since I have nada I am going to have to pick up all my starter supplies. The 70 is non negotiable with mom..so I can't get all the fancy stuff yet. But I need glass measuring cups, thermometer, storage cart, rubbing alcohol, and the soaping supplies plus a squirt bottle.

So anyways noob question.. I can't get a thermal yet, so would a candy thermometer work. Soap Queen has this faux swirling technique that requires a specific temp. When I do get a thermal, I plan on going for Bramble Berry's. But since I have so much to buy I am going local.

Also what books would be best for a noob. I got Kindle for my PC, so I can get the books cheaper on Amazon and read them on my laptop which i spend most of my time hooked up to

Thrift shops and Dollar Stores are your friend! I got almost everything I needed (for CP soap) second-hand.

We only have a family dollar and 2 thrift stores. There may still be a dollar Tree out in Hollywood, but i'm not sure. I've been in one thrift store and it's all junk, i need to walk down and pop into the other one

You don't need a thermal, a regular candy thermometer will work just fine. I agree with Judymoody, thrift stores and dollar type stores have tons of inexpensive supplies :)

We are really limited here, but there is a nice thrift store that my g'ma gave to a lot just 1.5 miles walk away. So i'll pop down there and maybe stop at the cafe that's been there forever. I don't drive and it is finally cooling down enough for me to start walking again.

Ok, I have just seen lots of vids and hearing people talk about having a thermal.

Latest posts

Back