So I have this green seaweed...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
I've collected a wad of this filamentous green algae from one of our seawater systems. It's very clean and pure, no smell, and a lovely green. I'd like to try it in soap of course!

I've frozen a bag of it, and I think my first order of business is to mix some with a little lye water just to see what happens to the color. If it holds, I'm not sure how to use it - simply defrost and whiz it up in a blender? Use that for my water? Strain it out or not? Or should I dehydrate it first?

The only seaweed soap recipes I've seen have used crumbled and dried nori, I've not seen any for fresh algae.

image.jpg

If it holds its color in lye water, then I would just blend it best you can then strain out the bigger bits and use the puree.

Personally, I'd purée it with a little distilled water, subtract the weight from my water total, and add it at trace so it is not sitting in the lye solution. Best chance for it retaining its color. I would also try to prevent gel as much as possible to retain color. I have a blast chiller where I work so I use that when I want to prevent gel but pre-freezing the mold and getting it into the freezer right away should be sufficient. Be sure to post some pics after you use it. Curious to see how it comes out.

Personally, I'd purée it with a little distilled water, subtract the weight from my water total, and add it at trace so it is not sitting in the lye solution. Best chance for it retaining its color. I would also try to prevent gel as much as possible to retain color. I have a blast chiller where I work so I use that when I want to prevent gel but pre-freezing the mold and getting it into the freezer right away should be sufficient. Be sure to post some pics after you use it. Curious to see how it comes out.

I second this but I think I would strain it as well. What works really well with puree is a sprout screen you buy for the top of a mason jar. Put in the puree, screw on the lid with the screen and then shake it out into another container. Quick and easy.

It does hold its color but once you mix it with the stick blender you will only see specks. I added some stevia to make mine more green, it’s more of a muted green though. I blended it with water then strained like you said. Then added it at trace n blennded well into the soap. It wasn't this same seaweed but it was fresh green seaweed. Doesn't smell as strong as nori.

That's one of the reasons I froze it, to burst the cells and see if I can get more pigment out of it.

I'm afraid that I don't have the freezer space to keep it from gelling, so that's out. But I like the rest of the ideas, thanks!

How I long for an herbal extraction unit so I can make my own essential oils and turn my nose at all the suppliers with their high prices, lol! I just need to come up with an extra $4K for a decent one ;)

I had some different seaweed given to me. I dried it in a low oven for 4 hours until dry then blended it to a powder. I add it to my soap batter. Here is a pic of the raw stuff

image.jpg

Just because I have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of this stuff, I may dry some in my dehydrator and grind it down, just for fun.

So I pulled the wad of seaweed out of the freezer today, added some water, buzzed it with the stick blender and then strained it through some mesh. The liquid was a lovely dark green, I mixed half with the lye and added the other half after emulsion.

The soap batter ended up a much paler green than I'd hoped for, but still pretty. I mixed up some gold mica with glycerin, mixed some of that with some batter for an in the pot swirl (my first, actually), and splattered the rest on top. Shiney!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1404685581.770560.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1404685595.801789.jpg

Thanks! I think I just beat a personal record for time to gel. It was like this about an hour after pouring.

image.jpg

Seawolfe that soap is gorgeous! I love the top, can't wait to see it cut! I like that very light spring green color also. Post the pictures when you cut! Can't wait to see it.

I love seaweed and eat it often. Traditionally, seaweed is harvested and sun dried. I second Welsh Black that I would sun or oven dry the seaweed first and then, once it is dried up, use the food processor to grind it into a powder form.

I love nori, and eat it often. I might try drying this seaweed, although I've noticed that the blobs I've tossed out of our system do bleach out to a golden tan when dried in the sun for a few days.

Ok here is the 0600 this morning cut but not cleaned up cut pics. The green has faded to a golden hue that I quite like. I used a gold mica mixed with glycerin and mixed some with batter for the ITP swirl, the rest splattered on top. I like the effect it had on the inside swirl.

The scent is an FO called Kelp from the original Soap Dish - it just sounded too perfect for a seaweed soap. I am learning with FO's that I have to take at least a week before judging them, because right now it smells like a grandmothers boudoir. I felt the same way about the cucumber melon I used and now I just love it. So patience patience :p

seaweed soap cut 1.jpg

seaweed soap cut 2.jpg

Back