so I got crude palm oil...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNM

Reaction score
I'm in tears right now fr... My palm oil supplier just closed a few weeks ago do to coronavirus, so I needed another supplier asap, the thing is there aren't any others where I live, so I found this one place I didn't know about (super hidden) and they said they could only sell larger amounts (I have a very small production still) but I had to buy it from them even if it meant having much more than I needed, and it was cheaper in such large amounts anyway (I thought). Well, I received the oil today and it is CRUDE palm oil. I got on the phone and... well... there's nothing I can do about it. They don't care that their site says "Palm Oil" and not "crude", they don't care that no one ever mentioned it, and they won't take it back. I should have researched a little better before giving them my money, but what's done is done... I need to find a way around this now and I'm praying someone here can help me! I found online that you can bleach crude palm oil with heat, but will that make it work for soap? and will it be the same as palm oil or olein? If anyone here has any insight PLEASEEEE I need some help!

I would call them back and demand a refund, if they refuse tell them you are reporting them to the better business bureau and will be pursuing a civil case against them for false advertising.

Have it reversed on your credit card. In the complaint you can mention fraudulent product. It may take a while and they may fight it, but businesses rarely win on consumer credit card challenges. I also know that CC companies are being super generous with fraud refunds during the pandemic. At work we ordered masks that never came and the money was refunded that day.

You should call your credit card company assuming that's how you paid. I've had similar situations and they have always taken care of me! Worth a try.

Call them back and given a choice, refund your money or you will 1) Call the BBB and file a complaint, 2) You will call local media, 3) You will call your state’s Attorney General’s office and file fraud charges. You expect to receive a refund WITHIN 24hours.

If you don’t, then you do ALL of the above AND you file a fraud with your credit card or bank.

You know you guys are absolutely right! I need to learn to stand up for myself. I'm always the shy girl in the corner that goes with the flow, but I spent a lot of money on this and it is not right! It's a 15 gallon container or red palm oil, what am I supposed to do with that? Now I'm all worked up lol! I'm probably gonna have my brother call though cuz I'll probably break down mid conversation 😞 thank you all ♥

I'm sorry this happened. This is red palm? How much did you have to buy? Obsidian might be right, being a little more assertive with them might be worth a try.
Yes, it's red palm oil. I had never seen red palm oil before, so imagine my shock when this came to my door.

Red Palm is totally different from regular Palm Oil so there is no way they should be mixed up or swapped one for the other.

I have used Red Palm in my beeswax soap and the colour is fabulous but 15 pounds is a lot. You can also cook with Red Palm... it has a lot of healthful properties.

I'm in tears right now fr... My palm oil supplier just closed a few weeks ago do to coronavirus, so I needed another supplier asap, the thing is there aren't any others where I live, so I found this one place I didn't know about (super hidden) and they said they could only sell larger amounts (I have a very small production still) but I had to buy it from them even if it meant having much more than I needed, and it was cheaper in such large amounts anyway (I thought). Well, I received the oil today and it is CRUDE palm oil. I got on the phone and... well... there's nothing I can do about it. They don't care that their site says "Palm Oil" and not "crude", they don't care that no one ever mentioned it, and they won't take it back. I should have researched a little better before giving them my money, but what's done is done... I need to find a way around this now and I'm praying someone here can help me! I found online that you can bleach crude palm oil with heat, but will that make it work for soap? and will it be the same as palm oil or olein? If anyone here has any insight PLEASEEEE I need some help!
If you bleach it i think it'll still be good for use

I'm just looking at wikipedia and it says crude palm isn't much good for anything. It has a funky smell and that has to be deodorized in order to use it in the kitchen. Otherwise it is bleached, deodorized and more to be what we know as Palm Oil. There are instructions for bleaching it, but this is no way close to being what's been advertising and I would not let them get away it. It'd be interesting to see the site where you got it so we can see how they advertised the product.

Can you post where you purchased it?
I would certainly do as Gecko mentioned above. Yes, you need to learn to stand up for yourself. Ask Saponification someday what happens when you get tough with a supplier...
She was told from a well-known supplier nothing could be done about an issue and she was about to lose a considerable amount of money in product. When I was done with them she was awarded a gift certificate for the full amount. Long story but there is a posting about it in the forum.

I am not trying to be rude but toughen up Buttercup, stop crying and do something about it. The worst that can happen is you will lose but you will at least know you tried. Sorry to say but the meek in the world just does not always prevail. Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
I would certainly do as Gecko mentioned above. Yes, you need to learn to stand up for yourself. Ask Saponification someday what happens when you get tough with a supplier...
She was told from a well-known supplier nothing could be done about an issue and she was about to lose a considerable amount of money in product. When I was done with them she was awarded a gift certificate for the full amount. Long story but there is a posting about it in the forum.

I am not trying to be rude but toughen up Buttercup, stop crying and do something about it. The worst that can happen is you will lose but you will at least know you tried. Sorry to say but the meek in the world just does not always prevail. Good Luck to you.
You are absolutely right. I need to toughen up. I did stand up to them in the end, but it has been so terribly frustrating. I talked to my bank and they gave me a few steps to follow starting by reaching the company again and advising them that I would record the conversation. A lot happened, I've cried a lot but I feel proud of myself and my problem will be resolved. But it's really taken a toll on me you guys... Thank you all for being supportive even though you don't even know me. This is a really big deal for me, I've never done such things before.

I have a hard time being NON confrontational lol. Sorry It's my nature. you want me to call him out on this? JUST KIDDING.

Most of my friends cant believe that I can embroider, quilt, play pool, and now learning to make soap with the voice I have. I'm from philly. I dunno

Just use your voice with him. no reason for you to get something that you spent a lot of money on that you cant use. I mean, I could send them a msg and say what you mean, but that would involve a lot of curse words :p

Don't do that, I have gotten ppl in trouble trying to follow my lead LOL

Your credit/debit card should hopefully refund you.

I'm not confrontational generally either. But if I've been seriously wronged I will speak out. You did a great job and should be proud of yourself. Take a deep breath, you'll be fine!

Oh yes! @cmzaha is a boss! She was still on the phone with the supplier when I was issued my gift card! That experience has helped me to stand up for myself more and demand my right especially when I paid for it.

Wooden Wick didn’t send one of my FOs recently because they were out of stock and no email or note on the invoice to say it was out of stock and will ship later. No communication whatsoever! Sent me an incomplete order all the way to Canada. I did send them an email letting my displeasure known and I got a discount code for my trouble as well as my FO sent to me.

Standing up for yourself is a bit tough, especially if you have always had people fight your battles for you. I am the last child, the only girl so I have always had my 4 big brothers and my dad fight my battles for me..... But I can tell you, it comes easier with practice.

Some people will give you crap if they think they can get away with it.

I would call and raise a bit of trouble at least you would know you tried because it will always hurt when you remember if you didn’t fight back.

I've always hated confrontation and would walk a mile to be as conciliatory as possible but as I've become older (some might say a crotchety old lady 🤪), I will not let anyone take advantage of me and I will stand up for my rights at all cost.

Back