Smooth looking Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bud Haffner Soap Cutters on Etsy. They are nice cutters, but I notice little bumps when cut with the wire. I compared them to some bars I cut with a knife a while back and those were smooth. I didn't need to plane them.

I have read other places, and maybe even on ED website that using their molds in the oven may cause bubbles in the soap. I have 2 and haven't put them in the oven. I have insulated them with no problem.

Wow, that's weird how you get those bubbles. I kind of like the effect. I use the brambleberry 5lb silicone molds and get smooth shiny sides. I just purchased two from Nurture Soap supplies and can't wait to try those out soon. I've not tried the ED molds. I do use sodium lactate in my soaps and it's seems to make them smoother when unmolding.

I would say also a recipe can contribute to smoother, shinier bars. Someone mentioned RBO, it really does add shine and smoothness to soap. And also less SF and water discount. My soaps have always been quite smooth, but as any soapmaker will know, there are always inperfections in our soaps ;) So, I've been recently experimenting with lower SF and really low water discounts, results are even more smoother soaps, more opaque and keep their shapes better. Sometimes high water % can produce warped bars after a cure. And high SF% makes my bars a bit transluncent, if that's a right term.
Good quality mold is also crucial, I have BB one and it makes xide perfectly straight and smooth. I cut my soaps with kitchen knife (Global one) and usually get minor drag marks which I just smooth out with the fingers as I go (cut more). They then cure to perfectly smooth bars.

I also have the same experience with my Bud Cutter. I was so excited to get it, but when I compare my knife cut soaps to the wire cut soaps the texture has little bumps which I have to plane off. I spent so much on it I feel like I need to use it.

Hey buddy, I doubt it's your recipe. I make my soaps in a silicon log mold and until today, I've always cut with a knife, which gives a really smooth finish. I used my new wire soap cutter today (I was really excited about it) and I have the same problem as you now.

You may need to gently lift and tap your mold on the bench to get rid of any bubbles trapped in your mix (the thicker the trace, the harder it is to get bubbles out).

I just spent about $230 on a wire soap cutter, and I'm not sure I'm going to use it again either. It gives 10 great 25mm thick bars per batch, but with a rough texture, whereas a knife I'll get 8-9 bars, great smooth finish, but varying in thicknesses.
I'm gonna try to unmold at about 19-20 hours and see if a slightly softer bar will give a smoother finish with the wire cutter.

You can see in one of the photos how the lime bar has a rough texture (cut with the wire cutter), compared to the other bars, which are cut with a knife and smooth.
I also had bubbles appear on the edge of my soap from my silicon mold, but they stopped happening after the first two batches in it (I kinda like the bubbles to be honest!)

assorted.jpeg

lime.jpeg

image.jpeg

A little update. The soap I did this morning I just cut now (about 12 hours curing). I've never even thought of unmolding soap so soon, but the log was firm enough to take out without any issues. It sliced a lot easier with the wire cutter compared to waiting 24 hours, but the roughish texture still remains.

I guess it's better to use the knife for a smooth finish, but I would love to be proved wrong so I can get smooth wire cut soap too! :thumbup:

I am not sure what causes the bumps using a wire cutter, but know that it isn't just the bud cutters. I have noticed that if I make sure the wires are tight before I use it that I get a smoother cut. I have often wondered about this because I don't seem to get the bumps as much anymore since I tighten the wires.
I wondered if it could be the recipe, or the fragrance oils, since one fragrance oil in particular is not smooth. You may want to cut a small section off your log and just cut that to test. It is a shame not being able to use it, and for me I really need the cutter because I cannot cut straight let alone get close to the same weight for each bar.

If tiny bubbles are the problem, no amount of slamming on the counter will get rid of them. That works best for larger air pockets when the soap was very thick when poured. Those tiny air bubbles are most often caused by air trapped under the bell of the stick blender, and then whipped into the soap. You can try tipping the stick blender when you insert it into the soap batter, to let the air release. I did that, but still had air bubbles. Then I bought a cheap, $10 back up stick blender, and thought I'd give it a try to make sure it worked. Well guess what. No air bubbles! I'm not saying that switching SBs will solve the problem, but it may be worth a try if you can find a cheap one.

You can also steam the sides of the soap too to help with the rough look - the roughness will still be there, but the soap will have a slight gloss look to it as well. Worth a shot if you like!

Hey TheOneWho Soaps. That's exactly how my soap looks with the wire cutter. I made a batch night before last...Slammed the heck out of tub before I poured... Slammed it again after I poured. It's unmolded but not cut. I've been hesitant to cut too soon. Your soaps are beautiful. You're right though your knife cut soaps are very smooth- amazing. I can't cut straight with a knife, but guess I'm going to have to learn how. I also think I need to get a new stick blender... Even though I burb and tap and bang I can still see air being mixed in.
Thank you so much everyone for all your help. I'm going to test everything... I'm excited now. Thanks

I never thought about cutting a small part off and using a knife to compare, I'm going to try that tonight. I have a loaf waiting to cut. thanks

I do think my stick blender is creating tiny air bubble. Do you remember which cheap one you got? I'll have to look tonight to see which one I have, but it only has one speed- HIGH... $10 is worth solving this problem... so I am going to get a new stick blender, cut a test batch with a knife, still slam it down, (My wires are pretty tight, I think - but I will check them). thanks everyone.

Try "burping" the stick blender. sometimes when you put it in the soap, air gets caught under the dome and will get whipped into your soap. submerge it, then tilt it to let the air out.

I can cut my soaps pretty straight by hand, but I might try a mitre box (used for woodworking) and see how good I can get them using that.
I don't think the quality of the blender should effect the bubbles, as the others have suggested, burping the blender will help.
I have used Olive oil before that has contained many bubbles in it that don't want to disperse either. Also, if your mix is in a big bowl while blending, there's more chance that the blender will just breach the surface of the mix and blend air into the soap. Sometimes a smaller bowl/pot will help to keep the stick blender submerged properly.
The only other way I suggest is a lighter trace, where the bubbles can be tapped out on the bench easier.

I do think my stick blender is creating tiny air bubble. Do you remember which cheap one you got? I'll have to look tonight to see which one I have, but it only has one speed- HIGH... $10 is worth solving this problem... so I am going to get a new stick blender, cut a test batch with a knife, still slam it down, (My wires are pretty tight, I think - but I will check them). thanks everyone.

The cheapo I bought was a generic one, no name brand. I got it at either Big Lots or Ocean State Job Lot. Ocean State, I think.

I also remember seeing somewhere that when you pour ingredients into your pot or mold, it can introduce air into the mix. That's why you see some people pour onto their spatula, and let the ingredients slide into the pot or mold. I suppose anything is worth a try. All I know is, changing SBs did it for me.

Have to admit that I am not real forthcoming with my recipes but I do have a really nice super smooth feeling bar that I make. Recipe follows
lard 37%
Palm 18%
Sunflower 17%
coconut oil 15%
Canola 7%
Castor 6%
sugar
salt
3% superfat
33% lye concentration
This is a very silky smooth bar of light color soap. I do not superfat it high because of the low cleansing number. Tallow could sub for lard but will bring up the cleansing number
Hi Carolyn,
I tried your recipe and I like it very much. Between my husband drilling holes in my stick blender ( I still have some bubbles, but not as many). and trying your recipe I have a lot less bubbles. thanks for sharing... Sherry

I read this thread a couple of days ago, and I started thinking about my stick blender. It happens I got a new one for Christmas for a back up. Si I made a couple of batches of soap to test to see if there was any difference with the air bubble issue using my new SB. Well I just cut my soap WITH a wire cutter and they are smooth as a baby's bottom. Not an air bubble in sight! You guys are so smart!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I find if I use a little stearic acid my soap is smoother.
I have been thinking about using Sunflower oil to cut my Olive oil in half. Do you guys know if should buy the high oleic SO? I dont want to have to worry about DOS. Also I cannot find sunflower oil at my grocery store, I wonder if they have it at Walmart.

Latest posts

Back