Smooth looking Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not judging, just curious. This will be my career 7 years from now.

What difference does it make if there are bubbles in it or if the surface is not smooth and shiny? Don't the imperfections add to the appeal of "handmade" soap? Will the glycerine rivers cause any burns or damage to someone's skin? Do aesthetics really matter that much?

I've coveted his planer. It looks very nice! And he's from Wisconsin ... right next door to my state of Iowa. A neighbor, kind of.

Teresa -- I think esthetics do matter. It's just to what degree it matters from soaper to soaper. Some people do "soap as decorative art" and others do "soap as functional object" and others fall somewhere in between.

I definitely am a "functional soap" maker, but I still care about appearance. I like my soaps to be nicely and evenly cut and corners beveled. I want the crumbs brushed off. And if I get lucky enough to make a pretty (although simple) swirl, that makes me happy. And I want the look of my labels and the type of packaging to reflect this level of skill.

You see this range of craftsmanship in many fields. Wood working, for example. Some people do rough carpentry and are pleased with the results from using 2x4's and heavy nails. Others like me are trim carpenters looking for more fit and finish. And then there are the wood carvers/sculptors who turn wood into art.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean. I have the same issue. The only recipe that comes out really smooth for me is the one woth avocado oil. I love all my recipes but i am a perfectionist and want to have a smooth texture as well.

Latest posts

Back