SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just poured. Lordy, that was stressful!! Note to self, please, finally, get some long-spouted measuring cups! Short and stubby spouts are hard to work with in such confined spaces. And how the heck do you pull the dividers out without dripping on the wrong color?!
Learnings:
- I poured at emulsion and as someone else suggested, waited to swirl. But next time I'll wait like a full 10 minutes before swirling.
- I made 5 circles and should have stopped at 4.

Just poured. Lordy, that was stressful!! Note to self, please, finally, get some long-spouted measuring cups! Short and stubby spouts are hard to work with in such confined spaces. And how the heck do you pull the dividers out without dripping on the wrong color?!
Learnings:
- I poured at emulsion and as someone else suggested, waited to swirl. But next time I'll wait like a full 10 minutes before swirling.

It‘s definitely stressful but gets better as you do more. Definitely get some long spouted measuring cups! Also, I don’t pour at emulsion. I wait til I have a light trace. If you pull the dividers out when the batter is too thin it is more likely to drip. If the batter is a bit thicker it’s easier to avoid dripping. i remove them slowly and when they are at the very top I hesitate for a second to let anything drip off and then quickly remove them. Swirling at closer to a medium trace gives me better results. You can probably plane off the drips if they didn’t drop in to the batter too deep. No matter what I’m sure your soap will be prettier than you expect. It’s an addictive technique!

It‘s definitely stressful but gets better as you do more. Definitely get some long spouted measuring cups! Also, I don’t pour at emulsion. I wait til I have a light trace. If you pull the dividers out when the batter is too thin it is more likely to drip. If the batter is a bit thicker it’s easier to avoid dripping. i remove them slowly and when they are at the very top I hesitate for a second to let anything drip off and then quickly remove them. Swirling at closer to a medium trace gives me better results. You can probably plane off the drips if they didn’t drop in to the batter too deep. No matter what I’m sure your soap will be prettier than you expect. It’s an addictive technique!
Thank you for all of this! Where were you 6 hours ago??!! JK.

Learnings:
As far as drips go, unless there is massive dripping, they kind of disappear when swirled. At any rate, the top of your loaf becomes the bottom of the bar when cut, so it’s not really a big problem. Planing works, or you can carefully remove the drips with a skewer or spoon if they really bother you. As much as I dislike long spouted pitchers, they are handy when using dividers. Squeeze bottles or paper cups with the rim pinched work too. Try pouring into the end of your mold rather than the side if your batter is fluid enough.

I just did my first attempt at the Taiwan Swirl challenge. The top looks good. Hope the middle is as good LOL. It is still too fluid to move it to cpop, so it is sitting on the counter right now.

I thought I screwed it up because the batter was so fluid that it kept weeping under my dividers. Turns out that it looks like I have more colors in different shades LOL. The top is so pretty LOL. I hope the rest looks just as good.

If this one doesn't turn out, I'm gonna do my next on with thinner swirls.

I dearly love to overcomplicate things, but maybe someone else does, too. Now that I've gotten through 5 TCSs in the last month, posting my lessons learned:
1. A formula that accelerates like a freight train may induce panic, but trying to get a bunch of little batter portions to reach the same light-medium trace at the same time when you've split it before emulsion and the recipe takes forever to go anywhere induces insanity (in me, at least).
2. If you happen to have a colorant or batter portion that is thickening up faster than others, mix the offender with a spatula to loosen it up, and use a mini-mixer to help the others catch up. Whatever you are mixing will continue to thicken for a few seconds after you stop the mixer, so if it looks right and the mixer is still going "BZZZZ..." You've gone too far, and there's no going back.
3. Wait until drizzled batter sits on top without sinking under to begin pouring (preference), though at least staying on top a few seconds before sinking under is recommended. I prefer it slightly thicker because it stays between the lines better, colors stay distinct, it still flows predictably, and fine lines don't seem to get as lost in the swirl.
4. Use 1 funnel-pitcher per color or section. Batter may accumulate in the spout if you pour little by little, so check to see if that needs to be cleared before continuing
5. If you want to divide a section, pour batters evenly from near the front of the pitcher. Pouring from the back doesn't result in the batter coming out as evenly, even if it looks like it's poured straight.
6. If using Mica in oils to accent the outside of a section, pour it into the pitcher along the sides towards the back and from further up once the batters are in. If you pour it first, it's hard to predict where it will end up, and if it's placed towards the front it will beat the batter out of the spout. Expect to restripe your pitcher at least once.
7. Let the batter set up to medium trace (or rest a minute) before removing dividers. Tap dividers up and down a tiny bit before removing them. It helps loosen the batter so it releases the dividers and you don't lose as much batter, and letting it thicken a little first lowers the chance of drips.
8. I noticed my swirls with the tool even all the way down were even the whole way through the loaf, but tools that are rounded at the bottom created a wedge/vortex effect with very little swirl at the bottom and a smooth triangle to a lot of swirl at the top. Swirl tool not completely even = Swirl VERY not even. I'm both irritated and impressed.

Half the reason I'm posting this is because I love this swirl but want to take a break from it for a while, and don't want to remake all these errors when I come back to it. If you've read this far, thanks for reading, and I'm sorry it's so long!

Last edited:
Back