SMF August 2023 Challenge: SHAPES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, @CLMP! Please let us know how it comes out!
I just unmolded it. It's not to bad it's a column mold I think it will work but it's a bit crooked and I could cut the end off that bump up. It also really dried it out cause I was able to unmold it so fast lol. I might use it or I might make a new one if I have time lol. Thanks so much 😄

I just unmolded it. It's not to bad it's a column mold I think it will work but it's a bit crooked and I could cut the end off that bump up. It also really dried it out cause I was able to unmold it so fast lol. I might use it or I might make a new one if I have time lol. Thanks so much 😄
Whew, I am so glad the soap is ok. 😅 Is the mold going to be ok for future use?

One thing you can do with melt and pour embeds is create a translucent embed in the CP soap. Just a thought. I did it with my over the rainbow soaps, creating the bluebirds and stars in melt and pour.
I just looked up your Over the Rainbow soap. It is amazing! Sid you use a tutorial or instructions to combine the melt and pour with CP? I already have a plan for this month’s challenge and have never worked with M&P but am thinking of Christmas soaps. 🤔

I just unmolded it. It's not too bad it's a column mold I think it will work but it's a bit crooked and I could cut the end off that bump up. It also really dried it out cause I was able to unmold it so fast lol. I might use it or I might make a new one if I have time lol. Thanks so much 😄
Will crooked matter much?

I just looked up your Over the Rainbow soap. It is amazing! Sid you use a tutorial or instructions to combine the melt and pour with CP? I already have a plan for this month’s challenge and have never worked with M&P but am thinking of Christmas soaps. 🤔
I had to look it up to see which picture I had posted. ☺️ The bird and the star were created with silicone molds and low sweat melt and pour. Kermit the Frog was also done in LSMP, but he was simply stuck on the front. It turns out that you can use those cute little molds — think butterflies, frogs, or duckies — level the back, wet the back with alcohol, and stick the critter on the front of the soap. I’m sure you can think of lots of creative things to do for Christmas soaps!

I would like to try a very clear MP to see how that would work. For a picture, I think I would aim a pen light behind the soap, so the embed would luminesce. 🤔 I have VCMP in the basement. I may have to do something special with it soon!

Edit to add: I just made columns and embedded them the same as I would have done with CP soap. I don’t know if it made a difference or not that I used the low sweat version of MP.

Whew, I am so glad the soap is ok. 😅 Is the mold going to be ok for future use?
Yup the mold is fine thank goodness I'm just trying to get in the mood to make some more tonight lol😂 I just had a huge pasta dinner and I'm feeling a little lazy lol🤣

Will crooked matter much?
I don't think it will be noticeable for what I'm planning but if I get enough of them made by next week I will make another one cause I'm a little bit of perfectionist so it might bug me If I don't Lol🤣

I had to look it up to see which picture I had posted. ☺️ The bird and the star were created with silicone molds and low sweat melt and pour. Kermit the Frog was also done in LSMP, but he was simply stuck on the front. It turns out that you can use those cute little molds — think butterflies, frogs, or duckies — level the back, wet the back with alcohol, and stick the critter on the front of the soap. I’m sure you can think of lots of creative things to do for Christmas soaps!

I would like to try a very clear MP to see how that would work. For a picture, I think I would aim a pen light behind the soap, so the embed would luminesce. 🤔 I have VCMP in the basement. I may have to do something special with it soon!

Edit to add: I just made columns and embedded them the same as I would have done with CP soap. I don’t know if it made a difference or not that I used the low sweat version of MP.
Thank you!!!

Hi, I can’t find your OTR soap picture, can you please post a link? Thank you 😊

I finished 3D printing some extruder discs for the embeds. I recently bought a jerky extruder (bc it is stainless steel, I feel better about it than the aluminum barrels), so I am looking forward to testing it and the discs. I just hope I have enough soap dough to extrude the shapes and if not, I better make some!
My sausage extruder works better with a solid disk in front of the cupped plunger. The punger pushing surface wasn't flat on mine and the pressure wasn't evenly coming out the shaped hole. The dough would come out faster in some spots than others. I used a thick cutting board and cut a circle with a scroll saw, then drilled a hole part way through the back to let the disk rest against the nut and the edges of the plunger. I expect you could do it with your 3D printer much easier. Hope that makes sense.

@glendam and @Cindy D. thank you both for sharing your extruder knowledge! I have a jerky extruder that I haven't used since the last time my husband went hunting, which has been a few years now. I may have to haul it out and see if it is stainless, and if so, then consider ordering some disks from you, @glendam. Fun!!
From what I read, it really isn't supposed to matter if it's stainless, because it's already soap and not fresh lye.
I've also cut extruder disks from about 1/8 inch thick white cutting boards with a scroll saw. Plexiglass cracked when I tried it and the thin flexible cutting boards weren't strong enough.

From what I read, it really isn't supposed to matter if it's stainless, because it's already soap and not fresh lye.
I've also cut extruder disks from about 1/8 inch thick white cutting boards with a scroll saw. Plexiglass cracked when I tried it and the thin flexible cutting boards weren't strong enough.
Great info, thanks!

BTW, there is still time for you to join this month's challenge if you are up for it! ;)

@Cindy D. Thank you for the tip, yes, it made sense. My first large extruder was a DIY one, adapted from a caulking gun and I made a solid round disc like the one you mentioned, for the same purpose.
I choose to avoid aluminum because I have a theory (unproved and with not much data, just enough to make me cautious) that it causes DOS, for me at least. I live in a humid area, and I used to make a lot of soap dough embeds. I noticed that the embeds made with my small Makins aluminum extruder, and the ones made with metal piping tips, developed DOS quicker. They were also the white embeds, which made me suspect Titanium dioxide and most oxide pigments as well.
Anyway, the jerky extruder I found was more than half of the price of the clay extruder, so by then it was a no brainer. I think I paid around $30ish for it.

Back