small CP batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapbubble

Reaction score
Hi!!

I haven't tried CP yet and would like to make a really small batch. I've found enough little pieces of wood to make a 2 bar mold, so that would be perfect to learn with.

When I make such a small amount of CP soap, should I stick blend or use a wood spoon? would it take longer to trace than a larger batch? Any other ideas on how to do this mini batch??

TIA!

My batches are 2 lb and they stick blend five - so would one pound.. I have even made 8oz batch size in a narrow measuring cup. It doesn't take longer to trace - if anything it's quicker - just keep an eye on it.

ETA: ah... on rereading it you are wanting a 2 bar batch, I thought you typed 2 lb batch.... It's still doable, tho.

In such a small batch you'd have to be very precise with measurements. I'd suggest a digi scale that weighs at least 1g increments. And careful with the SB. Even with 500g I found a lot of air got mixed in cos the batter's not real deep.Few good thunks when it's in the mould should sort that tho. Good luck! :)

L
i wouldnt make that small of a batch, you can use most any kind of container for molds, shoe box, gladware containers, etc. Are you going to try cp?

If you could do a 1lb batch , it would be easier to work with I believe . 8 oz isn't much and there is always a little soap left behind on the tools and containers etc .

Kitn

Thanks for the advice!

I think I may go for no smaller than a 1lb batch. Plastic containers seem good for that. I can't wait to make salt bars....

do you have to grease the plastic molds?

I've made a small 5 oz batch. It is an experimental bar recipe in the soapmakers companion book. It did take a little longer to trace. You can use higher temperatures for the experimental bar, about 120 instead of 80 to 100. You will have to use a small mixing bowl or pot in order for the liquid to be deep enough to mix. I did use a sb, but alternate stir and blending. Good luck!

soapbubble said:
do you have to grease the plastic molds?

Soapmoulds(eg: mwm etc) no_Other than that it'd depend what type of plastic.Recycled tubs & takeaway is ok but if yr using rigid kitchen plastic it might be an idea.And some folk find the silicone spray(food grade!) is a real help with all types of moulds. :)

Latest posts

Back