SLS free

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariflo

Reaction score
Hi guys!

As a part of my market research I came across a soap bar that had "SLS free" written on the label in very large letters and on the ingredients (which was written in very small font) it listed "sodium laureth sulfate".
I know that the laureth has a bigger molecule than the lauryl and is more gentle on the skin, but, isn't marketing the soap as SLS free deceiving?
Doesn't SLS free mean it contains no lauryl or laureth or does it refer only to the lauryl (sodium lauryl sulfate)?

PS: Happy New Yeeeaaarrrrr!!!!!!!!! Have an excellent 2012!!!
mari :)

I think I agree with you. Seems very deceiving. Its not technically SLS, but I think it is SLES. Sodium Laureth Sulfate is the more gentle version of the two, but still... if you are including SLES it seems deceiving to say SLS Free... Bars of soap do not require that for lather. Seems like it would be easier to just leave it out or not to mention the SLS Free.

I don't think it's deceiving at all if it doesn't contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. SLS & SLES are two different things.
What I think is deceiving is a B & B company that in big bold letters, says there products are sulfate free, but their bath salts contain Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt).
I see all the time, soaps and other things that say "Alcohol Free" and then list Propylene Glycol in their ingredients.

*edited to add* Just wanted to add, that I personally have no problem with any of the ingredients talked about & am not bashing the use of the ingredients :)

Genny said:
I don't think it's deceiving at all if it doesn't contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. SLS & SLES are two different things.
What I think is deceiving is a B & B company that in big bold letters, says there products are sulfate free, but their bath salts contain Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt).
I see all the time, soaps and other things that say "Alcohol Free" and then list Propylene Glycol in their ingredients.

*edited to add* Just wanted to add, that I personally have no problem with any of the ingredients talked about & am not bashing the use of the ingredients :)

yep

Back