Slowing down trace when using spice EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapopera

Reaction score
I was just experimenting a batch using 1g of Cinnamon Leaf EO and 2g Rosemary in 300g oils. I use a lye concentration of 29%. I mixed the EO into the oils before I add the lye. When it's time to combine the two, emulsification quickly took place and before I knew it, it traced. And I thought I spotted some 'ricey' texture beginning to form as I poured it into my mold. And I was just using a slotted spoon to stir. Now I'm worried if the lye would be evenly distributed :x . Should I add more water the next time I soap with spice EO or soap much cooler. My oils were around 43C and lye 40C.

You got it - full water or close to it and soap as cool as your mix of oils will allow.

You could also try mixing half of your lye water with your oil/EO mixture, get it thoroughly combined and then slowly add the remainder of your lye water. I read about this method on another forum.

I'm surprised you got acceleration with such a small amount of cinnamon leaf, though. That's around .33% usage rate if I did the math right.

judymoody said:
You could also try mixing half of your lye water with your oil/EO mixture, get it thoroughly combined and then slowly add the remainder of your lye water. I read about this method on another forum.

I second this method, but with the caveat that you don't use the stickblender during any part of the process. I read about the same method on the other forum, too and tried it recently with Salty Sailor from Daystar. It's a fast mover that I can pour just fine into my mold on time, but only if I'm quick on my toes and don't dilly-dally!

Well, anyway, as per the new method mentioned above, I added the Salty Sailor to the oils and then added only half my lye solution, stirring it in with a spatula. It was beautiful- no adverse reaction at all. Then I added the second half of the lye solution, stirring it in with my spatua in the same manner. Still no reaction! Miracle! No thickening or anything! Well, since there was no reaction, silly me thinks she can go ahead and use her stickblender on the batter to bring it to trace and all will go just as fine. Wrong! After about a 5 second burst of the stickblendier, 'BAM!" - all of a sudden my batter started moving faster than a speeding rocket, and it ended up having to be smooshed into my mold instead of poured. I could have just kicked myself. I'm am sure that if I had just stuck to stirring with the spatula to bring it to trace that all would have gone as smooth as melted butter. So, moral of the story- hands off the stickblender with this method!

IrishLass :)

I haven't thought to try something like this but am glad to know of it now. I was particularly interested in your experience with Salty SAilor, Lass, as I have made only one bar with it and was astonished at how fast it moved. I think it even beats out Plumeria. By the time I was pouring out the 4 ounces in my cup, the last of it was in chunks. This gives me some hope with trying it again- and I will NOT pull out the stick blender- which I probably would have done but for your cautionary tale!

judymoody: At full water I'd reckon it'll be 26% lye concentration? Thanks for your suggestion for using half of the lye first. I've tried this method before when I soap at a higher lye concentration. Don't know why I have a brain fart that noon and didn't think much of the spice EO. Initially I wanted use 1% Cinnamon Leaf and 2% Rosemary with a total of 3% EO. I ran out of Rosemary and decide to just soap at 1% (both Cinnamon Leaf and Rosemary). But the Cinnamon Leaf really caught me by surprise. I've never soaped with Rosemary before so I'm not sure if it also accelerated trace.

IrishLass: I know what you've went through :wink: just when you think it was safe to whip out the SB.

Latest posts

Back