Slicing soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings All,

How do you slice your soap? I currently cut each bar by hand with a kitchen knife, which can be time consuming when each batch makes 20 bars!

I was looking at wire cutters on Etsy. Anyone have experience with them? If not, what do you use?

Thanks,

Aft Galley Soaps

If you are looking for a multibar wire cutter the favorite one is Bud Hafner on Etsy. He sells several different models. Many of the folks here have one. I don't but my husband made mine. Miter boxes did not work for me. Still ended up with wonky bars. Some folks have good luck with them.

Thanks, all. My first soap mold was a wooden one that also doubles as its own slicer. However, I was never good at lining that thing and I've moved on to acrylic molds. However, the loaves don't fit into the wooden mold for slicing anymore, so I have to set them up on their side to slice them. This means I can't use the blade slicer it came with, I have to use a kitchen knife. It is very time consuming.

I think a wire cutter will help with this. I e-mailed Bud Haffner to see if he can make his to slice 1" bars, and not 1.25" bars.

Take care,

Aft Galley Soaps

There are some videos on Youtube that show how to easily make your own wire cutter if you're like me and don't have hundreds to spend. My miter box and cutters work just fine for me.

He will do whatever thickness you want. He makes them to order so you won't have a problem. It might be awhile as on one of my facebook groups someone said he's not taking any orders right now as he's trying to catch up....could be wrong as that was a couple weeks ago. If I was going to order one I would get it from him.

Thanks, all. My first soap mold was a wooden one that also doubles as its own slicer. However, I was never good at lining that thing and I've moved on to acrylic molds. However, the loaves don't fit into the wooden mold for slicing anymore, so I have to set them up on their side to slice them. This means I can't use the blade slicer it came with, I have to use a kitchen knife. It is very time consuming.

I think a wire cutter will help with this. I e-mailed Bud Haffner to see if he can make his to slice 1" bars, and not 1.25" bars.

Take care,

Aft Galley Soaps

You mean like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/100417898/mod-1-solid-oak-high-density?ref=related-2
Or this:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/150480091/adjusters-on-each-wire-mod-2-solid-oak?ref=related-1

Hello! This may not be of much help to you (but maybe for others) if using a knife does not work well for you (due to smashing the bars upon cutting) try using fine dental floss to cut through the soap slab to cut the bars. Obviously, you will use a long section of floss but it helps to make a clean cut. It also helps to prevent cavities on your bars. ..... Sorry, I could not resist the (joke?). :thumbdown:

I always drool over those kind of cutters. :razz: But since I am just a hobbyist I can't justify spending that much on one. I used to sell at craft fairs years ago...I would've loved to have one of those! I would've saved me lots of time.

I just bought a stainless steel cutter from Korea off eBay. I couldn't find the link but it works with one wire on a sliding platform. It cuts one soap at a time but gives you the freedom of changing each bars width and can cut any way you like as opposed to the standard multi wired cutters. It was costly, about $360 with postage but it is the most awesome cutter ever. I wouldn't normally spend that much but my mum chipped in a large amount as my Xmas gift so I got very lucky:) it's abit expensive for a small time hobby but if you plan on selling or making HEAPS of soap it is great.

I've been using my drywall taping knife. It's basically perfect when paired with my miter box. and since it's 12 inches long I can often cut my loafs both length and crosswise

Thanks, all. I honestly have no idea how to use a miter box (I'm about 0% handy) so I think I'll stick with the wire cutter. I've moved up to making 20 bar loaves and I think it will make slicing them so much easier and less time consuming.

I am grateful that even though this year has been lackluster compared to last year, the business is still paying for itself and I can afford to purchase something like this!

You might also try a pastry scraper, like you'd use to clean off a pastry board after baking. They have a nice wooden handle holding a thin sheet of steel that cuts soap really well. They come in sizes too, and the cutting edge can be sharpened or smoothed if you like.

If you have an open-end mold you can use the open end as a guide for the cutter, and just push your loaf of soap out 1" at a time, for each cut. This worked for me for a couple years.

Latest posts

Back