Simple Customer Explanation for Sodium Hydroxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Although I don't sell, I do, however, list all the ingredients that went into making my soap on my labels. I've had a mere one or 2 of my family members ask about the sodium or potassium hydroxide, and I just tell them the truth, plus give them a little mini-education about saponification at the same time.

Awesome! I make authentic laugenbretzel with mine (soft pretzel dough dipped in a lye solution before baking). Oh- and I also make laugencroissants (croissant dough dipped in a lye solution before baking). My favorite to make of the latter are the 'pain au chocolate' version with chocolate rolled up inside of the dough. It makes for a flakey, melt-in-your-mouth chocolaty croissant that tastes like a pretzel.

Lye- it's not just for soap.

IrishLass :)

I have yet to make any pretzels. I have to suck it up and do it, even though tomorrow is Good Friday and mine child will be [driving me up the wall trying to get me to decorate some easter eggs] too.

I have yet to make any pretzels. I have to suck it up and do it, even though tomorrow is Good Friday and mine child will be [driving me up the wall trying to get me to decorate some easter eggs] too.

Have you tried the shaving cream method? I like it so much better than all those little cups of dye. Of course I'd prefer using just plain markers, but the kid doesn't agree.

Shaving cream method? Do tell! I've never heard of it before!

IrishLass :)

We got out every glass pie and cake dish, emptied 3 cans of cheap shaving cream into them, and had 8 different colors of food dye. She dropped bits of dye, swirled, then rolled the eggs across the pan, let sit for 15 minutes on parchment paper, wiped off the shaving and there you go!

Very quick and easy. Then...90 minutes with happy kid molding the shaving cream into mountains and valleys and adding old forgotten plastic animal and people figures. Again - still an easy clean up and she had loads of fun! (But we're going to need to stock up on shaving cream again)

Have you tried the shaving cream method? I like it so much better than all those little cups of dye. Of course I'd prefer using just plain markers, but the kid doesn't agree.

NOOO. We did not do that. It's a good use of shaving cream. My lil one is also a stickler for tradition- cups all the way or it's being done WRONG. I can't disappoint the kiddo all of the time.

Latest posts

Back