Silicone Color Bleed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutCar92

Reaction score
I used a new silicone loaf mold yesterday, a red one made by Hamilton Beach...Im pretty sure thats who made it (I threw the cardboard wrap away). ANYWAYS, I did a lard bar recipe in it and when I pulled it out this morning the outside of my soap is red/orange!!! The color bleed....has this happened to anyone else? Maybe its cause its new or maybe its just a bad mold....

I think it is because your mold is new. I have a red one as well....I think it is a Wilton. It is heart shaped and I stole it from my baking equipment so it was not a new one when I used it to soap with (and no, I don't use it for baking any more). It had been washed a few times in the dishwasher before I claimed it for soaping and I never had the bleed out. However, I have read about the red silicone bleeding color on some of the forums. I have a green one and it does not bleed either. I think you can safely use it after washing it thoroughly in really hot water a few times. When I use my silicone molds, I do not gel though. In fact, I put the soap in the freezer for a few hours and then in the fridge to stop gel. So, the mold never heats up with the soap mixture in it. Could the caustic nature of the soap mixture combined with the heat generated by gel cause the bleed in a new red mold? Well, that could be a factor. I just don't know. I use the little silicone molds for specific soaps that I make and don't want to come to gel. Somebody else will certainly chime in here as I know that others have had this same bleeding experience.Don't throw that mold out yet!

Thanks! I don't feel so bad knowing other have had this issue! I ended up cutting the red off anyways to shape it. I did let it gel because I wanted to see how it looked, as it was only my third batch and actually my first batch I think that I actually got to a heavier trace because I got a hand mixer, but I had also thought it was cause it had heated up. I will wash it in the dishwasher a few times before I use it again and see if that helps! Thanks for your advice!

Back