Silicon Moulds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silicon moulds

• No don't waste your money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've had good and bad experiences

• Yeah go for it

• Yeah go for it

• Total voters
G

I'm about to buy one and I'd like to know whether you think I should go for it or not. Is there anyone who has had bad experiences with them? Anyone who swears by them?

tell me tell me :)

I love my silicone molds, waiting for easter to be over so maybe I can pick up some new ones on sale. My experience with them has been good, but I have one that I'm not so pleased with. It's a wilton mold football shaped, 6 cavity, great size but it is kind of a burnt orange-brown color and when I use it for soaps that are light in color it leaves an orange cast on the soap. The others are blue and red and I don't have any problems with them.

Are you talking about silicone liners for log and slab molds, or the actual silicone baking pans/cups?

I have used silicone baking cups and a silicone bundt pan for soapmaking and my soap releases very well. If you put them in the freezer for a few minutes the soap pops right out!

If you're looking for a silicone lined wooden mold, make sure you look for a one piece POURED silicone liner. There are some out there that are not one piece and are "treated" with silicone which in my experience do not work well. If you are looking for good quality, order from either of these places:

http://www.woodfieldswood.com/

http://www.uplandsoapfactory.com/store/home.php

I have that exact same silicone bread making pan - and just made a cake it in a few minutes ago! :)

The only thing I can see that could be an issue, is that the pan is not square, and has round edges and is smaller at the bottom and bigger at the top with textured sides and wavy bottom..... so perhaps the end pieces may look a bit funny, and the bars may have slanted sides and be not square - but it could be a cool look though! 8)

Silicone is a great material for soap! Very easy to demould - but needs to be kept out of UV light for the longest life.

Not all silicone liners are the same though. There are loads of different types of silicones out there as well as methods of construction, so poured in one piece is not nessisarly better than any other method, as silicone can weld to silicone and be just as strong as poured in one piece (like metal can be welded to metal and become physically and chemically bonded, and essentially one piece of metal).

Silicone is great though, very easy to work with and get the soap out. Great for CPHP too as most can handle up to 200C (400F?), especially if there is detail in the mould so you need a thin CP, but you want the quick cook of HP (just be careful exposing wood to over 120F, or it may warp).

:)

kaseencook said:
The only thing I can see that could be an issue, is that the pan is not square, and has round edges and is smaller at the bottom and bigger at the top with textured sides and wavy bottom..... so perhaps the end pieces may look a bit funny, and the bars may have slanted sides and be not square - but it could be a cool look though! 8)

Yeah, I thought it wasn't square but it's too hard to see the texture from the pics and the wavy bottom :? I suppose I'll just have to wait and see for myself. I could always line the mould in an attempt to straighten the edges and prevent texture??

**** holiday post putting off all my latest supplies :x I need my fix

I have to say something I thought was quite funny.
So, a while back, I took a M&P class to refamiliarize. Anyways, the instructor said its a good idea to always have a small cavity mold, in case you have some extra soap to pour. She showed us these little silicon ice cube trays (they were from IKEA).

So then we made some soap, and during the class, someone was asking if they could use a silicone baking sheet/tray/bread loaf pan etc. etc. and instructor said NO... never use a silicone mold........ then everyone kind of looked at each other like.. "is she crazy?" because she JUST showed us the little ice cube trays that were made of silicone....lol.. we had a little chuckle.

Let us know how the mold turns out!?
I saw a silicon/wood mold for sale somewhere.. can't remember where.... i wish I remembered!!!

I love mine, I have several, but mainly for the smaller soaps, haven't tried the larger loaf type. WSP says they are carrying ones that are perfect straight sides, and Fantes has some really cute little ones.

http://fantes.com/silicone.html

That link isn't the molds themselves, but should lead you to it . . .

Hi SFB - This soap is made in a very similar silicon mould to the one you bought (a visual for you!):-

The18thBatch005.jpg

Tanya :)

mamaT said:
It's a wilton mold football shaped, 6 cavity, great size but it is kind of a burnt orange-brown color and when I use it for soaps that are light in color it leaves an orange cast on the soap. The others are blue and red and I don't have any problems with them.
I've been wondering about the same thing. What if they lose color, or if the FO/EO absorbs into them so that they will lose scent to the next batch. Should there be a separate mold for unscented soap only and another for scented ones?

Back